Making a MTD deck compatible to mulch?

Old 12-23-06, 09:34 AM
Making a MTD deck compatible to mulch?

Hi,

I have an older 36" MTD riding mower I don't use that much anymore and was thinking (if possible) that I would change the twin blades to mulching type blades. The deck came standard to discharge and came with hi-lift blades and a bagger originally.

I don't know a lot of what a real mulch type rider would look like, but if I wanted to convert my deck to mulch, would it be as simple as changing the ole' hi-lift blades to mulching blades and then welding off the discharge with a plate?

JW

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-06, 09:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello JW,

You can do that. The only problem there is that you'll probably have a bit of a trail of clippings left along the edge of the deck where the discharge chute is because of the void/empty space in that area. The mulching covers made for these mowers actually go back under the deck a little and fill the empty area of the discharge part of the deck. If you cover the opening, the trail left will probably be just at the edge of the deck, so a small overlap on the next pass with the mower should catch it. You'll just have to overlap a few inches, unless you design the cover differently or pick up a cover made for it.

Old 12-24-06, 07:27 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for that insight. I should take a look at a mulching style deck to see if I can modify furthur besides just closing the discharge.
Thanks again!

Old 12-25-06, 01:33 PM
Lightbulb

I would suggest not to "perminantly" block off the discharge in case you decide to use the catcher again. In other words, try it and see how you like it. Like Cheese said, the deck was`nt origially designed for mulching so it may not turn out to your satisfaction.

Old 01-01-07, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A plastic mulching plug costs about $10..
I made one out of scrap wood.. I'll take a pic of it if you like..

Old 01-02-07, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Modifying it semi-permanately seems to be the best. The bigger hurdle is that I'll have to retro-fit the closest mulching style blade i can find to fit the deck. MTD does'nt make one specifically for my model and year.
Thanks again all.

Old 01-02-07, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After I made the plug for the deck, I just used the regular blades.. Did a super job on the leaves..