problem with riding lawnmower

Old 01-02-07, 03:24 PM
problem with riding lawnmower

i have a 17.5 poulan riding mower and when i try to start it , it backfires and will not start, could this because of the spark plug or maybe water in the gas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
i have a 17.5 poulan riding mower and when i try to start it , it backfires and will not start, could this because of the spark plug or maybe water in the gas?

It could ether be making it backfire,or it also could be your carb.not ajusted right.or even your valve clearance isn't right,thowing it slightly out of time.

If there was any question about the shape of the spark,I'd make sure that spark is getting to the plug,If not you might have clean rust from megnets on flyeheel and leminations of the coil.Take the ground wire off of the coil,see if there is spark with ground wire off,and on coil and probally replace the spark plug, first.Then check for water or other trash in the fuel.If there is,drain,tank and carb.bowl.replace in-line fuel filter.Fill with fresh...clean fuel.Try to crank.If it wont re-set the carb ajustments to 1-1/2 out from lightly setted.Try again.If still no go......reply back with model and type #'s off engine.Someone can look up the spec's for the valve clearances.

Old 01-02-07, 04:33 PM
Smile lawnmower

thanks for the info,and i will check out what you told me, really appreciate the help.

Old 01-03-07, 12:54 PM
I'm going to guess you have a Briggs single cylinder Intek engine and that you have a problem with the camshaft. This is only a guess not knowing the engine specifics or history of the unit. Post back with more information if you would please...engine ID numbers as well as chassis ID numbers.

Old 01-03-07, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pull off the flywheel and inspect the key. You have partially sheared the key and it will cause it to backfire. While you are at it, clean the magnet and pick up points with emery cloth.

Old 01-03-07, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt the flywheel key is the problem here, since this mower is belt driven, unless the flywheel bolt has been removed before, and not tightened properly. Rust on the flywheel and coil shouldn't be the problem here either, although it wouldn't hurt to try a new plug. I'm betting on the camshaft too, but I'd start by removing the valve cover and inspecting the valve movements and valve clearances. It could be a sticking valve or loose valve seat.

Old 01-05-07, 08:05 AM
Does the engine spin fast like theres no compression? Teh exhaust valve may not be closing all the way. Take the plug out a crank it over and it turns over just as fast with the plug in then you have a problem with your valve.