Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

frozen motor or? Honda generator

01-05-07, 12:22 AM   #1  
frozen motor or? Honda generator

I have a Honda 6500 watt generator with a 13 hp Honda motor. Everything was running fine the last time I used it. Now it appears to be frozen up. With the plug removed I cannot pull start it by the rope, and the electric start only clicks. Since it was not running hot and the oil is full Im wondering if something else could cause this type of condition? Suggestions are appreciated. Wayne

Sponsored Links

TX

01-05-07, 04:09 AM   #2  
How long since it was last used ? Take the rope starter/fan housing off and see if you can rock it w/ a socket on flywheel nut.It sounds like it either got water in cyl,causing rings to seize to cyl, or mud daubers have built a nest between rotor and stator in gen.
Hope this helps and it's only the latter,
Mike

Visiting Guest

01-05-07, 07:42 AM   #3  
Azis
Check the starter also. See if the starter is engaged with the ring gear on the engine, it may be stuck. Sometimes it can be freed by rocking the engine or loosening the starter. Can't say as I have ever seen or heard this on a Honda engine but it is common for others.

MI

01-05-07, 08:00 AM   #4  
It may not be the engine, there could be something stuck in the generator. I have a lawn tractor that sat for years and Ithought the engine was stuck but it was the pull uner the egine rusted to the belt.

SC

01-05-07, 08:22 AM   #5  
My son and I service generator sets. Highly unlikely the gen. Someone has already suggested taking the fan cover off and trying to turn the engine over. I agree, but before You do, put approx 1 tsp of oil in the cyclinder and gently rock the flywheel back and forth. Tom

MI

01-05-07, 07:34 PM   #6  
I would look at the starter also if the bendix drive is wore out it could have wedged itself up. Also if you battery was weak it could have run the starter up and didnt have enough power to turn the engine so the starter is stuck on the flywheel.

01-06-07, 02:09 AM   #7  
honda generator

thought i would say thanks for the input. I try to fire this thing up about every 3 or 4 months. The last time i used it was in the summer during a rolling blackouts. One thing that does come to mind is a noise that has been around since i got this thing. (5 years) It would come from the rope start area. Dont think it was a motor part because it was not constant. Looks like I have something to do next week.. thanks again, wayne

IN

01-06-07, 01:49 PM   #8  
Take plug out and try to turn it over. Honda's have a bad habit of letting gas run through carburator. It may have filled cylinder with gasoline. If this is the problem put a fuel shut-off valve in gas line and shut gas off after use.

Search this Thread