Toro CCR™ 2450 snowblower surging

Old 01-16-07, 03:56 PM
Toro CCR™ 2450 snowblower surging

When under load this slow blower seems to over-react to rpm changes by increasing rpm too much, then decreasing it too much resulting in surging. The gas tank is full and of the right mixture. I'm not extremely knowledgeable on small engines but I did remove the carb, cleaned it and put it back on. That did not seem to help. I'm guessing that what ever mechanism runs the throttle needs some sort of cleaning. I'm not afraid to tear into it if I need to and if I really break it I have the money to pay for fixing it. This is more of a curiosity issue with me and the "need" to fix stuff that breaks. I'm sure you understand. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 05:50 PM
How old would that machine be? Is it a 2 cycle or 4 cycle? What horsepower?

Old 01-16-07, 06:32 PM
You said right fuel mixture so I am assuming it is a 2 cycle. Is this a diaphram carb or float style carb?

Old 01-16-07, 08:28 PM
Sorry, I missed the "fuel mixture" reference pointed out by "smallengineguy".

I will assume this is one of those little 3HP, 2 cycle Tecumseh engines of which, I, and most other folks in the trade have seen many, under many different names but basically all the same machine.

I will also assume it is a float type carburetor. If you have had the float bowl off, it has to be put back on a certain way; the shallow end of the bowl goes under the float hinge pin.

As to speed, this type of engine has no throttle, just a plastic governor vane connected to the carburetor by a link and to a lug by a very light governor spring. The plastic air vane may be damaged. I have also seen them on older machines eat into the mounting hole in the block causing sticky, erratic behavior. It may also be that the governor spring is stretched or damaged in some way and not responding to load as it should. It may also be that the lug the governor spring is attached to at the other end is somehow bent and not tensioning the spring properly.

Old 01-17-07, 05:54 AM
The "surging" tells me that the engine is starving for fuel. In adition to being sure the bowl is on correctly, I would strongly suggest a carb rebuild kit $10 range or at the very least replacing the inlet needle and seat ($3). It is not a difficult task by any means but there are right and wrong ways to install both the needle clip and the seat. TEC part # 740047 is their 2 cycle manual ($10) and covers this in detail. It will also explain the proper adjustment for the float which could be a factor. Lastly on these machines the carb is mounted at 45 degree angle and therfore the float usually has a dampening spring to keep pressure on the float, this is covered as well. Based on your curiosity factor I would think you could gain good valuable info from this manual both in this case and the future. Go get em

Old 01-17-07, 06:05 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Toro's web site states this snowthrower having a 141cc 2 cycle R*Tech engine which I am not familiar with and am unable to look at any manuals without a serial #.
Your symptoms sound to me as tho the fuel/air mixture is slightly on the lean side. Normally this can be corrected by a simple turn of the fuel/air mixture screw on the carb. 1/4 to 1/2 turn CCW may cure the surging IF, the carb has mixture adjustments AND this is the problem.
If there is no adjustment or adjusting does not offer solution then the next most likely cause would be an obstruction to fuel, generally in the carb which may require more servicing than just general dissasembly and cleaning.
You may want to inspect the govenor springs, vane...etc. for any signs of damage, however its unlikely that this is the problem unless it has been messed with or damaged.
If you can provide the exact model and serial #'s manuals can be downloaded here http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/ccr2450_specs.html

Old 01-17-07, 12:10 PM
Sounds like my machine last year. My fix was to put some carb cleaner,not much,and run the bugger. It took a couple of hours running before it cleared up. pouint: Crap in carb.

Old 01-17-07, 12:22 PM
In the least, I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning out the bowl nut (main jet) on the carburetor. This may well take care of your trouble but it would be advisable to soak the carburetor in a bath cleaner and recondition such with a Tecumseh carb kit and replace both intake gaskets as well.

Old 01-18-07, 09:24 AM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. For clarity I'll try to answer all the questions here:

It is a 5hp 2 cycle with a float style carb. The model number is 38515 and I was able to find a parts list and engine manual on the toro site.

It has a Briggs and Stratton 084132-0120-E1 engine.

I'm going to see if I can get a carburetor kit and new fuel filter for it either this weekend or the next. I'll let you know what the final fix might be.

Old 01-18-07, 11:34 AM
Ahh, you have a Briggs powered unit. It is obviously relatively new then. When you go to your local Toro or Briggs shop for the carburetor kit you will need to bring along the serial number of the unit as well as the code number of the engine. Depending on the code number break of the engine will determine the correct kit to purchase. Regardless of which carburetor yours has (Walbro or Lawn-Boy (Toro)) your main concern will be the "nozzle" which is the main jet in either carb. Make sure, if you don't replace such, that you clean it out thoroughly.