Help with xmission adjustment on Toro 8x26 snowthrower

Old 01-17-07, 09:10 AM
Help with xmission adjustment on Toro 8x26 snowthrower

The model number is 38150 and the serial is 6000758.

Any help or advice as to how to adjust the friction wheel or to replace it if it should be replaced is welcome. The wheel shows some wear but it doesn't slip so I guess it is still good.

-------------
Jean-Pierre

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 09:49 AM
With the machine in neutral the distance between the friction wheel (one with rubber) and the speed disk (one without) should be 1/8 of an inch (close to a US Quarter).
This is adjusted by a coupling and a nut on the clutch rod. This is the rod you use to engage the drive. If you go to www.toro.com, homeowner, product center and enter model and serial number then choose "look up parts" you will get diagrams for the machine. Click on "Handle Assembly" The parts I am talking about is #61, 63, and #66. I do not know the extent of why you need to adjust the transmission (not really a transmission) but adjusting this one way or the other should be able to accomplish your goal. Good luck

Old 01-17-07, 12:08 PM
Also, since there is relatively little adjustment to make, you need to be sure the rubber drive disc has sufficient rubber material and be sure to check the hex shaft bearings for slop. These two ares, if worn, will make it near impossible to get a useable adjustment.

Old 01-19-07, 08:37 PM
Problem doesn't look to be slipping friction wheel

The xmission is not slipping so I guess that there enough rubber on the friction wheel... Problem is that in first gear, the snowthrower won't move at all. In second, it is quite slow and third is naturally faster, about what should be 2nd "gear" position.

What should I do to make it behave properly, that is using all 3 speed positions?

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Pierre

Old 01-21-07, 06:18 PM
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=1&in_hi_userid=19462&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=214&PageID=238#29-6310 This link is to the Toro breakdown of your unit. You will need to loosen two of reference #52 and then slide reference #51 left or right as needed to get your rubber disc at center (of the drive plate) when the shift lever is in neutral position. You will likely have to highlight, copy and paste the above link as I don't belive it will be a hyperlink.

Old 01-21-07, 08:45 PM
Thank you very much

This should do the trick and will let you know if I can adjust it properly.

Regards

Jean-Pierre