High detergent vs non-detergent

Old 01-19-07, 07:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High detergent vs non-detergent

What exactly is the difference between high detergent and non-detergent oil? Which type is recommended for small engines used in lawnmowers.

Old 01-19-07, 09:23 PM
G
Wink High detergent vs non-detergent

Use the detergent oil, that is if it is a 4 cycle engine. 2 cycle oils have detergent additives also. Detergent oil help in a BIG way to keep engine clean on the inside mainly sludge form building up. Non-detergent oil are use in sealed units where as the oil can not be contaminated by out side contaminates.

Old 01-19-07, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Detergent oils contain additives to help keep the engine clean (agents that help keep contaminants suspended in the oil and not clinging to internal parts). This is what I reccomend for use in any engine unless specifically advised against in the owner's manual. I don't know of any engine manufacturer that advises against it. Years ago, some engines required non-detergent oil, but I'm told that was because some of the additives in the oil back then couldn't take the heat of an air-cooled engine and broke down to form sludge. Oils have changed a lot since then though.

Old 01-20-07, 03:40 AM
Here's what I go by...somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

I Use high quality synthetic detergent oil classified SF, SG, SH, SJ or higher !
with ILSAC GF-2, API certification service symbol with SJ/CF notations

Use 5W-30, 10W-30 for temperatures below –20 to above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. No special additives are recommended

CHECK OIL MORE FREQUENTLY IF YOU use non-synthetic multi-viscosity oil in ambient temperatures above 40 degrees ! The engine will consume a greater than normal amount of oil.

SAE 30 Oil if used below 40 Degrees, will result in hard starting and possible engine damage due to inadequate lubrication

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: