Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help with Brake on Husquavarna 345 chain saw

01-21-07, 01:10 PM   #1  
Help with Brake on Husquavarna 345 chain saw

I got out my chain saw after a few months of storage and had a heck of a time getting the chain cover off. Even with the brake lever pulled all the way back I had to pry it off. Now I can't get it back on. Looking at the brake band in the cover it looks like it is at its smallest diameter which won't let it slide over the clutch drive. How can I fix that?

Sponsored Links

CO

01-21-07, 03:35 PM   #2  
chain brake

I know that you said that you had the brake lever pulled all the way back but you could not have. Never pry the cover off this means that the brake is still set!! To reset the brake you will need to cut some small hard wood blocks one to slide into the slot where the bar nuts go and another on the other side. Then lock the hole thing into a vice. Take the brake handle off of the saw and push it into the mating surface of the cover and pull it in the correct direction to unlock the brake. Don't drop the cover this will set the brake also.

AJ

Last edited by aj-allen; 01-21-07 at 03:48 PM.

NY

01-21-07, 05:35 PM   #3  
I can't picture what aj is instructing you to do but I do know that you should only need to simply pull back on the brake arm (flag handle) in order to disengage the brake. If it won't disengage by this means then you have an issue with the brake assembly. In my experience with these it is usually easiest to replace the brake assembly rather than try to make a repair as a disassembly and repair is typically difficult to accomplish given the band and tension spring and trying to assemble these along with the linkages individually is frustrating, to say the least. I've found it rather common on Husky saws to have to replace these.

AL

01-21-07, 06:47 PM   #4  
Most likely your going to find that saw dust,oil,and other debres are in the little trench that is housing the brake spring.And this is causing it not to move fully.
take the cover off the spring (on the inside of the clutch cover),spray WD-40 or the like and blow with compresed air to clean.

AL

01-21-07, 06:55 PM   #5  
Whitch 345 saw is it.What year does the serail say it was made in? 2001 OR 2004.If needed I've got IPL's on both.if you do need to order a new clutch cover.

Search this Thread