Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn tractor starter

FL

01-21-07, 07:00 PM   #1  
Lawn tractor starter

My Murray lawn tractor has been clicking when starting for about a week. Then just clicking, now nothing. Do these things have starters? Model 425001X8, B&S 17.5 HP OHV engine.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-21-07, 07:54 PM   #2  
Yes they do have starters. Click and a week later no click. Sure sounds like a dead battery. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals and see what it reads. Then, while the meter is still attached, turn on the key and try to start it. If the voltage dives, the battery is bad.

FL

01-22-07, 04:36 AM   #3  
Brand new battery. While we're on the topic, it's tended to run batteries down fast. My solution has been to park it with the blades engaged because - my thinking was that something was draining the battery. Anyway, I'll check the battery.

FL

01-22-07, 04:38 AM   #4  
I was just reading over my original post - when I said " now nothing", I meant it won't start!

Visiting Guest

01-22-07, 06:11 AM   #5  
Azis
The starter will not operate when the blades are engaged.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-23-07, 12:00 AM   #6  
It does sound like a dead battery. If not, then the solenoid could be the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

01-23-07, 10:04 AM   #7  
Alternator

Posted By: suobs Brand new battery. While we're on the topic, it's tended to run batteries down fast. My solution has been to park it with the blades engaged because - my thinking was that something was draining the battery. Anyway, I'll check the battery.
After you disengage the blade and re-try to start, if you get it going, measure the battery voltage. A normal reading should be 13.5V or higher, indicating the engine's alternator is charging the battery as it should. If it's anything below 12.5V, then either the alternator's stator or rectifier is bad.

Your engine has an alternator in the form if a series of stator coils situated inside the engine's flywheel. As the flywheel spins, a series of magnets along its inside edge pass over the coils inducing an AC voltage (that varies with engine speed) at the leads coming out of the stator, which is then rectified to a pulsing DC for recharging the starter battery and powering lights, etc. This works just like the alternator in your car, but a little less elegant, as it is essentially unregulated.

Search this Thread