Help with 12.5hp briggs

Old 01-25-07, 08:11 PM
Exclamation Help with 12.5hp briggs

I have a white lawn tractor with a 2cyl 12.5hp briggs in it. I just got the tractor and wanted to see if it runs. Well I tried to start it and it did nothing. I took a battery and I have some large cables and put power right on the starter and it didnt spin, just a few sparks. I thought I would take the starter off and thats where Im stuck. It looks like to pull off the starter I have to take the flywheel off. Ive never had a flywheel off one of these before so do I just take the big nut off and it will slide off? The nut on top was vey rusty so its soaking in BP right now.

I really hate this thing I have another white with a 12hp single cyl and I have a 12.5hp briggs single cyl and I really like them but this 2 cyl is driving me up the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-07, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will the engine turn by hand? (is it locked up?)

You can usually get a 1/2" wrench under the flywheel to loosen the starter bolts and get the starter out without removing the flywheel if needed. Remove the air shield over the head on that side to help give a little more room to maneuver.

Old 01-26-07, 08:00 AM
the engine turns by hand but the satrter wont turn by hand, for some reason its stuck. I did get loosesn the bolt like you said without removing the flywheel but It still wouldnt come out, it looked like there was still more bolt to go. I will go out there later and see if I can get it out with leaving the flywheel on. If Ihave to take off the flywhee what sixe is the big nut on top? I have a 1 3/8 socket that was to big and a 1 1/4 thats to small. Im guessing its 1 5/16, I dont have a socket that fits so if I have to remove it Ill have to go buy one.

Old 01-26-07, 04:11 PM
Thanks cheese, I finaly wiggled it out of there and I took the starter apart and blew it out with the air compressor and its working great now.

Old 01-26-07, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it!