Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No Spark

MI

01-26-07, 04:15 PM   #1  
No Spark

Its the same 12.5 2 cyl briggs causing me trouble again. I got it to turn over good but it has no spark. I disconnected the little black wire that goes to the key switch so I know thats not shorted out. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with it?

Sponsored Links

AL

01-26-07, 05:33 PM   #2  
Often times rust forms on the magnet of the flywheel and or the coil.Clean with sandpaper and re-gap the coil.If this doesn't work with ground wire disconnected,the eletronic ignition is bad and needs to be replaced.
These,most of the time goes out without warning too.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-26-07, 10:49 PM   #3  
Unplug the black wire from the coil itself, if that's not where it's disconnected from. If still no spark, and you have a good plug and the proper air gap, then the coil is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

01-27-07, 09:00 AM   #4  
This morning I took the coil off and claened it up and the same with the magnent on the flywheel. I also left the black wire disconnected when I put it back on. I cranked it over and guess what, still no spark. Is the eletronic ignition part of the coil and thats what went bad? I think as soon as this pain in the but gets running it going up forsale.

Visiting Guest

01-27-07, 09:28 AM   #5  
Azis
Coils go bad, its not at all uncommon whether with electronic module or not. As your witness too, they survive in a rather harsh environment.

MI

01-27-07, 01:41 PM   #6  
I have good news, I pulled out the spark plugs so it would spin faster and it had spark. It was spinning quick with the plugs in so I dont know why it didnt have spark before. I got another battery so it spins quick so Im not sure if its spining fastenough now or not, it should be. It didnt fire with starting fluid though.

AL

01-27-07, 07:34 PM   #7  
Might B only the plugs then.I've seen that too,cracked and leting the spark jump to ground B 4 it ever reaches the electrode.

MO

01-27-07, 08:34 PM   #8  
Sounds like you may have a timing problem. Check the flywheel key to see it hasn't partially sheared. Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread