B & S 5 hp dies with fuel cap in place

Old 01-28-07, 06:54 AM
B & S 5 hp dies with fuel cap in place

I have a 5 hp B & S engine on a Coleman 2250 watt generator. The engine runs great as long as I leave the fuel cap off... however, when the cap is installed it dies within 30 seconds or so. Here's the engine specifics:

Model 130212
Type 3247 01
Code 90121427

The fuel cap is the 1/4 twist-on kind - a new one from the local B & S parts store gave me the same results. I've emailed B & S support and they told me that this particular cap is non-vented. Instead, according to them the fuel system is designed to vent the fuel tank through the carb.

I have already removed the carb/tank assembly and cleaned both thoroughly - or so I though. I even used a guitar string to rod out all the holes I could find in the carb. While I had it apart I put in a new fuel pick-up tube/strainer, new needle valve, tank to carb gasket, and the fuel pump diaphram. Also replace the carb-to-block gasket when I reinstalled the carb on the engine (it came in the carb kit).

Other than the venting problem it seems the fuel/carbueration system is working the way the pulsa-jet system is supposed to work. I'm figuring that I've just missed cleaning a vent hole somewhere... just can't seem to locate it though. Thoughs or suggestions on where to look?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-07, 11:21 AM
Stupid Idea?

Couldn't you find another cap that does vent?

Old 01-28-07, 11:37 AM
did you verify the replacement gaskets have the exact same holes? You may have blocked the vent tube path by a restricting it with a slightly different gasket.

Old 01-28-07, 12:39 PM
Or put the gasket on backwards.

Old 01-28-07, 02:58 PM
gasket situation...

The gasket could be blocking the vent hole I suppose. I did use a small amount of plyable gasket sealer on both sides of the carb-to-tank gasket... not gobs of it... just enough to make it moist. Maybe I shouldn't use the sealer. I'll take it apart again to check for blockage.

I did think about just drilling a small hole in the new cap but kinda hate to do that... I made that suggestion to the guy at B & S tech support - he said that they wouldn't advise that for EPA reasons which leads me to believe that while that may be a workable option they can't really recommend doing that.

Old 01-29-07, 05:22 AM
As far as I know, you don't need sealant for a gasket. That's what the gasket is for in the first place. Even a small amount of this "sealant" could spread out and cover the small holes when tightened.

Old 01-29-07, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, I wouldn't use the sealant on a carb gasket. Also, I've noticed that sometimes on the gaskets for the carb you have, the holes punched don't always come out. Sometimes the gasket material is cut, but the circle is still in the hole and needs to be pushed out. Maybe it's still in there?