Craftsman Snowblower - rather Snowpusher!

Old 01-30-07, 02:23 PM
Craftsman Snowblower - rather Snowpusher!

Hi,

I have a one year old Craftsman 5.0 horsepower, 4 cycle, auger propelled snowblower. The model number is 536.881501. It worked fine last year and part of this season. It's pushing the snow rather than blowing it. When it does manage to blow the snow it's actually pushing it up the chute and plopping it down instead of blowing it out. The snow hasn't been wet either.

I have fresh gas and oil in it, along with a new plug. The auger is rotating freely and not freezing up at any point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 03:33 PM
Auger free wheels ? with the engine off try turning the auger by hand if it moves more than just a bit its prob a shear pin. Most blowers I know have 2 shear pins 1 on each auger blade.

Crom

Old 01-30-07, 03:49 PM
Hi Crom,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, auger free wheels. I don't see any pins. The auger assembly is one piece. It has a sunken bolt on each side that attaches it to the housing. They aren't removable. But they appear to be ok.

I can turn the auger by hand one full rotation by giving it a little push.

Sue

Old 01-30-07, 04:42 PM
How do you activate the auger on yours - - on mine I have a lever that pulls a cable, which then engages the auger. When the cable stretched on mine - it only partially engage the auger. Try tightening the cable (if that is what you have).

Old 01-31-07, 07:02 AM
Sure sounds like a broken shear pin to me. Has just enough friction to spin and move a little snow, but not work correctly.

Old 02-01-07, 03:15 AM
I'm having difficulty checking the Sears website to look at your machine but if it is, in fact, as you say auger propelled then you will have no shear bolts. I'd then say you have a worn, slipping belt.

Old 02-01-07, 06:12 AM
There are no shear pins on this machine. Agrees with previous belt is slipping. One small cut on belt will cause this. Replace belt, part number 333721

Old 02-01-07, 06:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
I'm having difficulty checking the Sears website to look at your machine but if it is, in fact, as you say auger propelled then you will have no shear bolts. I'd then say you have a worn, slipping belt.
I was able to peek at the IPL other day and agree with the others that the belt and drive assy needs inspected. I am not familiar with snow blowers however from looking at the drawing, the pulley, belt, tensioner ....assy, looked much like the self propel assy on those old snapper self propel. Cable and spring assy provide tension on the tensioner pulley, so there may be a specific procedure for adjusting the cable. Sears may offer an owners manual which should cover it if so. Or someone here may have access to such instruction.

Old 02-02-07, 02:07 PM
Thank you all for you help. I had a neighbor take a peak under the hood. The blower ran well with no slipping of the belt. So, he tried it out on his front yard in 7 inches of snow. It worked great.

His best guess - auger propelled blowers are best for heavier amounts of snow. I've been trying to blow approximately two inches of snowfall off my driveway at a time. Two inches is enough to pull up into the chute and dump, yet not enough to blow.

I miss my Toro which had "flappers" instead of the auger and blew everything.

Sue