Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

over heating husqvarna chainsaw

02-04-07, 05:26 AM   #1  
over heating husqvarna chainsaw

1997 husq 55 overheats and damaged parts replaced, no amount of enriching carb seems to work, so believe crank seals leaking, How do I get the oil pump drive gear off crank to replace seal behind it? Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-04-07, 07:00 AM   #2  
Azis
Have you eliminated possible fuel restriction, fuel filter, lines, carb...

02-04-07, 11:09 AM   #3  
overheating husqvarna 55

the saw runs and cuts well but overheats to the point that I have changed a ring and piston already , but still overheats after about 5 min of use, I would like to eliminate problem before I totally destroy it. The gas lines, filter etc seem to be Ok as it idles and runs full throttle fine. When I enrich the hi speed it will still work but still heats up. Looking at how to get the oil pump drive gear off the crank to change seal. Thanks Jim

02-04-07, 02:06 PM   #4  
I suggest as the owner of a 14 tree company i suggest using a STHIL for now on they suck air from the bottom of the saw and the side.

02-05-07, 01:56 AM   #5  
timing?

If your crank seal(s) are leaking, there would be fuel all over your housing on the end that is leaking and you likely wouldn't have a lot of power.

When I hear overheating, I would first ensure that the timing is right, plug gap OK, (most plugs are not properly gapped out of the box), and that the fuel mix is right.

If you need to pull a gear, you might try heating it up with a heat gun and then pulling it with a puller.

02-05-07, 03:44 AM   #6  
overheating husqvarna

thanks for the info, just a few more updates, I have 3 saws all using same oil /gas mixture and this one is only one overheating, so there is pressure in crank case? I will study it further thanks Jim

02-07-07, 02:59 AM   #7  
overheating husqvarna

Has someone actually removed the oil pump drive gear from the crankshaft? If so would you explain to me how it was done, is it keyed or shrunk on or what? Thanks Jim

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

02-07-07, 04:19 AM   #8  
Posted By: Diabloii235 I suggest as the owner of a 14 tree company i suggest using a STHIL for now on they suck air from the bottom of the saw and the side.
He's looking for a fix, not a suggestion on buying a new one..

NY

02-07-07, 05:07 PM   #9  
The pump gear is a spring steel spiral, if I'm not mistaken and is held in place merely by pressure. Typically, the factory will have used a Loctite type fluid to ensure it remains in place. A good deal of outward pressure is all it should take to get it off, with a suitable tool to pry it off. I don't believe it is keyed, by the way.

02-08-07, 08:20 AM   #10  
not sure, but i think you have to split the case to replace the seals.
take it to a shop and have the crankcase checked for vacum leaks first.
if the seal is bad it may change rpm when held sideways as the crank moves a bit. if the piston was damaged on the exaust side that is an indication of a lean mixture that could be seals, carb, filter, lines, max rpm or fuel mixture.

02-08-07, 02:23 PM   #11  
overheating husqvarna

Thanks Flapshot, your info is exactly what I was looking for; thanks again Jim

02-18-07, 06:43 PM   #12  
boler76 did you get it? If not let me know, I have a repair book and scanner.

02-20-07, 10:39 AM   #13  
overheating husquvarna

I ended up taking it to a dealer who did a compression test and said it should be fine, It still overheats and stalls, so I threw my arms up and will use the bar and chain on another saw, will just keep it for parts, Thanks for the input Jim

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-20-07, 09:28 PM   #14  
You said you can enrich the carb. When you do, does the engine respond accordingly (sputter and smoke at high rpm?) If so, I don't think a crankcase leak is the problem. If not, you may have a fuel related problem. Also, have you checked the fuel tank vent? If it's not venting properly, The mixture will get progressively leaner and make the engine hotter. Are the cylinder cooling fins clean of debris/buildup? Is the passageway from the flywheel fan to the cylinder clear and open? Is the exhaust damaged, leaking, or missing the heat shield?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-21-07, 08:41 AM   #15  
overheating husqvarna

Thanks for the info, I will check out all those ideas, when carb is enriched I can make it actually stall and when cutting with it enriched it has not got much power could be the gas cap vent, i will check that and reclean the cooling fins, as to the heat shield on exhaust there is only a gasket and the mounting bracket alll held on with 2 bolts. There is also a flip open port to allow hot air to carb in cold weather which is open here now as it is cold. Thanks again Jim

02-21-07, 11:50 AM   #16  
I think I read thru all the posts and did not see mention of pulling the covers and checking air flow thru/between all the cooling fins. Maybe I missed it.

My saw will clog the fins some if the conditions are just right, like I spill gas on it, or there is a lot of fine saw dust flying around.

But surely this base has been covered.

Visiting Guest

02-21-07, 04:04 PM   #17  
Azis
Posted By: cheese Are the cylinder cooling fins clean of debris/buildup? Is the passageway from the flywheel fan to the cylinder clear and open?

02-21-07, 05:37 PM   #18  
Cheese, you got me in trouble man. I brushed over the last sentence. Guess I will go to my corner and ponder on becomming a REAL MAN.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-21-07, 07:49 PM   #19  
Ha! Don't be so hard on yourself Henry! What Azis has at the end of his post about real men reading directions...that's not aimed at you. It's his signature which is displayed at the bottom of all of his posts.

I don't recall if there is supposed to be a heat shield on the mod 55 saws, but it seems like there is. I have a couple 61s that have the shields. I may have a 55 in the shop that I could take a look at. I don't have much in the way of service literature for husq. saws.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 02-21-07 at 08:10 PM.

Visiting Guest

02-22-07, 09:10 AM   #20  
Azis
Absolutely not meant to point ne fingers heheh, I just had to go back and make sure I had seen it myself as I have a lil husky goin on 13 yrs old now. First year I have used it to heat the home and its still hangin strong but I rode er awful hard this winter.
http://www.asis.phanfare.com/show/external/122717/145762/11967327/file.jpg

Search this Thread