Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears transaxel is hard to rotate pulley

02-04-07, 06:06 PM   #1  
Sears transaxel is hard to rotate pulley

I have a Sears Riding Mower, 5-speed - Spicer transaxel #4360 140, 2001. The drive shaft bearings went bad and I ordered the shaft kit from Sears and replaced it. My question is "How hard should it be to rotate the pulley sitting on the work bench"? I have tried changing the shims between the gear and bearing, tried the old gear, made sure the bearings are recessed and none of this makes a difference. The pulley turns easy with no screws tightened but when you tighten the screws around the gear shafts the pulley gets harder to turn with each additional screw tightend. With all screws tightened I can rotate the pulley but it is real hard to turn. I have checked all shaft areas but don't see any problems and I can turn all gears by hand. Does anyone have any advice?
After thinking more about this is there a gasket between the top and bottom housing. I only noticed a gray sealant?

Last edited by Tominfl; 02-05-07 at 04:25 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-06-07, 01:48 AM   #2  
Look at the bronze bushings on the ends of all the shafts in the case. All of them should have a small notch near the flange on them. Make sure this notch is sitting in the notched out spot in the case. This is probably your problem. The case is likely to crack in two if you tighten it down this way. The pulley should turn without much effort, and without change in relation to how tight the case bolts are.

Another note: You mentioned changing the shims under the input gear. MAke sure that the gear is able to move up and down after the case is assembled and bolts are tightened. It should only move a little, but enough to let you know it's not bound up. I'd say about 1/32" or less up and down movement would be good.

There is no gasket between the case halves. You can use sealant if you like.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

02-07-07, 05:38 PM   #3  
I think cheese is probably right but don't overlook the possibility of the differential being off time. If you removed the diff assembly from the case half and the gears slipped a tooth then this may be your trouble. Just another area to be aware of.

02-08-07, 04:58 PM   #4  
Sears tranaxle hard to rotate

Thanks for the help I alinged the bushings and put it together and it turns freely. I am glad you take your time to help others because I would still be out there trying something else.

One more question before I put it in the mower I notice when I rotate the drive pulley one axel turns and the other does not unless I hold the turning axle then the other axel turns. I think this is normal but want to be sure before I install it in the mower. Thank you very much for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-09-07, 02:04 PM   #5  
You're right, that is normal. That is the differential action, which makes it easier to trun the mower (the wheel on the outside radius of a turn has to turn faster than the wheel on the inside).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread