Snowblower blowing oil

Old 02-06-07, 04:59 PM
Snowblower blowing oil

I started my snowblower today, and it started leaking oil from the vent tube. It is a 5 hp Tecumseh. I use 5w-30 in it. It was about 5 above zero when I started it. I didn't see it really happen as it was warming up while I moved my truck. It shouldn't have been overfull, since I have used it a couple of times since I changed the oil and it's never happened before. I shut it down, looked it over and added some oil to it. Started it back up and cleared my driveway. I couldn't really tell if it was still blowing oil or if it was just residual from before. It seemed to run fine. It is about 15 years old. What could cause this? Too cold for me to mess with it now!! Thanks for any replies!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 03:02 AM
I would say it is just a matter of the crankcase breather being froze up. There is, inherantly, moisture in the breather assembly and the extreme cold can cause the tiny drain hole to freeze over. Any oil you may have seen afterwards likely was residual and simply running the engine at idle and allowing the engine block to warm up is sufficient to open up the drain hole. There is no fix for this situation other than storing the unit in a heated area between uses.

Old 02-07-07, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply puey61. I am going to wait till it warms up a bit and check it out again. If I find anything more, I will repost. Thanks again!

Old 03-17-07, 09:43 AM
I have a similar problem with a 9hp Cratfsman that is less than 5 years old. It was 66 degrees here only 3 days ago, and we got 10" of snow last night. I noticed a puddle of oil under the snow blower when I backed it out, checked the oil level than ran it for a little while. The oil is definately comming from the breather tube. Since it was so warm, I dont think there was any frozen moisture in there. I used it to clean the driveway, stopping every few passes to add some 5w30. Half way through, I took it apart but dont really know what to look for.

I am a new member and spent some time searching for a similar post but didnt find anything. I appologize if this has been answered before...

Old 03-17-07, 07:22 PM
If you took the P.C.V vent apart, make sure it's clean & the drain holes are open. Also be sure the holes are to the bottom when you put it back together. If the oil is too old & has a lot of hours on it, it will cause this, even tho it's 5w-30. Change the oil with a quality 5w-30, maybe even a synthetic?? Good luck, Roger

Old 03-18-07, 08:21 AM
hopkinsr2, thanks for the tips.

Is the "pcv valve" the same thing as the "breather element"? If so, is there any harm in taking it outs cleaning it with some engine degreaser or carb cleaner and allowing it to dry before putting it back togehter? If its not the same, where whould the pcv valve be? There is no hose going back to the carb, or anywhere else that I can see.

Thanks for the tip. I'd better check and make sure the holes are on the bottom. It was cold, snowing and I was starting to get frustrated... After finishing the driveway yesterday, I set up in the garage to see what I could find (its still apart), but i didnt take the breather back off.

The oil has at most 6 snow stroms on it, each with about 1hr of use. I always buy the oil from Sears. Its just as close as any other store and its only a few bucks.

I will get some synthetic today. With my luck it will snow tomorrow.

Old 03-20-07, 07:34 PM
P.C.V. & breather vent is the same thing. There is no harm in cleaning them with a carb like cleaner. Also, make sure you're engine isn't turning too fast. More than 3600 R.P.M. will flood the breather with oil.
Good Luck, Roger

Old 03-21-07, 06:34 AM
There is a reed valve within the breather assembly and this should be inspected for any wear or a possible tear in the reed. It is rather difficult to inspect such and you may want to simply replace this complete assembly just to be safe. Post back with your engine ID numbers and I'll give you the part numbers you'll need for the breather, filter, cover and both gaskets. Around $16 and you'll have this area of possible trouble dismissed. Other areas to be concerned with with an oil leak from the breather are: Crankcase related air leak; Substandard oil; and over-revving (too many engine RPM's), as Hopkins has previously mentioned.

Old 03-22-07, 06:32 PM
Puey61,

Thanks for the help. The engine sticker says:

Craftsman model no 143.039005
Tecumseh 9HP
Dom 02176DC0360
Eng. Family 2TPXS.3182BF

Breather assembly, 2 pads, 2 gaskets, a tube and cover totals $51 from sears on-line and probably a week in the mail. Couldnt help but see your in upstate NY. Know of any local shops near Saratoga?

I have no idea what the rpm's are running at. I have never tamperred with the throttle so it shouldnt be higher then the original setting.

I put synthetic oil in but havent put it all back together to see if it has made any difference.

Thanks Again,
Dave