Charging rate on mower

Old 02-07-07, 11:25 AM
Charging rate on mower

I,m working on our church mower which is a Craftsman 19 HP Briggs with an electric clutch and tri-circuit alternator. With the Clutch disengaged the ammeter shows full charge rate[25amps?] With clutch engaged it shows a normal 5 amp charge. Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it? I have checked the diodes in the circuit and they check okay. Any advice would be appreciated. Band Aid User.

Last edited by band aid user; 02-07-07 at 11:30 AM. Reason: changed a word
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 04:53 PM
I'd say the regulator is defective.

Old 02-08-07, 07:58 AM
puey61; That was my first thought. Problem is that I can't find a regulator.Wiring schematic with the mower does not show one nor does the parts list. I have an older issue of Briggs manual that shows this tri-circuit alternator having a 1 ohm 20 watt resistor in the circuit when the clutch is engaged and bypasses this resistor when the clutch is disengaged. The schematic that came with the mower does not show this resistor in the diagram or parts list. I'm really confused as to what does control the amperage output. Band Aid User

Last edited by band aid user; 02-08-07 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-09-07, 10:03 AM
Boy do I have egg on my face. Turns out that the ammeter{which has no markings as to value of charge etc.} only shows the full rate charge of 5 amp output and that is full needle deflection. I have never seen a 5 amp ammeter before and assumed that any full needle deflection was an overcharging situation. Rsearch showed me that the Tri-Circuit alternator on this Briggs engine puts out a constant 5 amp charge rate with no current regulation other than diodes to convert from AC to DC current. The electric clutch when engaged pulls 3.5 amps and the other 1.5 amps are used to charge the battery. At any rate I apologize for asking for help before I thought this through completely. Band Aid User