Old Craftsman Snowblower won't run

Old 02-07-07, 07:02 PM
Old Craftsman Snowblower won't run

I have an old (maybe 70's) Craftsman snowblower that was given to me about 5 years ago. It is a Sears Craftsman Self Propelled 24 13.55 cu.in. 6 HP 3 Speed, Model # 536.82558, Engine Model # 143.606092. I had the card rebuilt and it ran like a champ, started first pull everytime. Then one year I forgot to run stabil through it and it gummed up, took alot of pulls to start and would have to run with the choke partially on.

So this year I started needing to start it with starting fluid, so I decided to try and rebuild the card myself. Guess I didn't do to well a job, still hard to start but runs good when started (no choke needed). It kept getting harder and harder to start. Then the other day I hit a landscape timber and broke the chain, so I fixed it and then it wouldn't start.

Took it to get the carb/starting problem looked at and they said it had low - 30 pounds compression. I don't want to put alot of money into a 30yr old machine so I thought I would play with it. First rechecked the compression and I got 60#'s, took the head off - piston wall is smooth, valves have a little buildup but seem to sit well, and when turned by hand everything functions properly. Put it back together. Took off the card, cleaned it out, but didn't do a whole teardown again. I put a little oil (about 1 tsp) in the cylinder and got 80 - 90#'s compression. Put in a new plug (old one was new this fall) and tried fireing her up. Got her to start and ran great for about 10 mins. Shut it down and changed the oil (been a couple years) tried to restart and nothing, sprayed a little starting fluid in the cylinder and didn't even try to start.

I have been getting backfires coming back out the carb, spark and smoke, when I try starting it. And the new plug is already black, I don't think with oil, and always comes out wet with gas. Holding the plug against the block shows spark, but most time not on the first pull.

One other thing unrelated - it has a plug in starter. Which I just got freed up and working again. I used it for a while trying to get the engine to start. Then all a sudden I started popping the circuit breaker 15 amp, tried a 20 amp circuit and the same thing. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, any ideas would be great. It would be nice to at least get through this season with it.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 07:28 PM
When you hit the landscape timber you put enough shock on the crank to partialy shear the crankshaft key attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft, when you remove the cover you will notice the key and key slot are no longer in alignment. This has put the engine out of timing which is causing the backfireing and hard start. Replace the key and you should be "somewhat" ok you still should clean the carb when the weather warms. Have a nice one. Geo

Old 02-08-07, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the response... took the cover back off and unfortunately key looks good.

Any other ideas?

Old 02-08-07, 09:43 AM
Well, someone told me to try and warm up the engine. I tarped off the snowblower and put a small spaceheater under it (in my garage) and let it warm for 1.5 hrs. Started right up. Any idea why it needs to be warmed first?

Going out to use it now, lets hope for the best.

Rob

Old 02-08-07, 06:33 PM
You said you changed the oil?? Did you use a 5w-30, or something heavier? A synthetic will help too. If the carb isn't 100 percent, you still need to tear it down & soak it in a cleaner. On most older machines, I find that just a kit & cleaning with a spray cleaner isn't enough. Puey uses some good stuff, or Kleen-Flo makes one that will work. Just has to soak longer. Why not take the carb apart, than take the carb body to the local small engine guy & ask him to soak it overnight? Than clean with spray cleaner & compressed air & install you're own float & carb kit?? Rember to check the weight of oil. SAE 30 is too heavy for winter!! Roger

Old 02-08-07, 07:37 PM
Yep, put in 30. Didn't think about the winter making it thicker, just always thought 30 in small engines. 5w-30 is the best for a snowblower?

Going to do the carb when it stops snowing, whenever that will be, been snowing for 2 weeks straight. It's running good enough now to move snow.