no spark

Old 02-11-07, 06:43 AM
no spark

my yard machine snowblower won't start. I have no spark. The grounding wire for shutdown is in good condition, and not making any contact to ground where it should'nt be. is my ignition controller bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-07, 08:25 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Disconnect that wire from the coil and test for spark. If still no spark then suspect the coil bad. If spark is present then switch or wiring in the kill circuit is suspect.

Old 02-11-07, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you grounding the metal part of the plug to a metal part of the engine when testing for spark? You may have to use a jumper wire to clip onto some metal of the engine and to the plug. Otherwise, you won't show spark when testing.

Last edited by cheese; 02-12-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-07, 03:21 PM
I pulled the boot back on the end of the spark plug wire, holding it with pliers, i approached the plug while cranking. no spark. even with all grounding (kill) wires disconnected.

Old 02-12-07, 05:06 AM
Remove spark plug, place in boot. Hold boot with rubber gripped handles, hold plug close to engine block and pull starter. Do this in a somewhat dark environment. Let is know if there is spark. Please post results with all engine numbers so we can assist further if necessary.

Old 02-12-07, 06:47 AM
I have spark!, still won't start. originally thought I had a carb problem, so I cleaned it out. the engine Rpm was going up and down. the carb was very dirty. I took it apart, and cleaned it with carb clean and air. Drained the tank, flushed it and filled with new fuel. flushed fuel line before reinstalling carb. no parts were lost, there are'nt very many. but did wonder if I put the bowl cover back on correctly. Now the bowl won't fill with fuel. Sorry I didn't mention this before, but when it died last time it was surging, but kept running until it quit abruptly, so Ithought I had 2 problems.

Old 02-12-07, 06:52 AM
more info

It is a tecumseh 8hp modelHMSK80 155545V (H)
family XTPXS3182BF

Old 02-12-07, 08:35 AM
You have a carb issue. If the bowl is not filling it has to do with the inlet needle/seat and the float. You can buy a carb kit or just needle and seat. If you need it ASAP, try removing carb and remove bowl while holding upside down. Be sure needle is hung on float with open end of tang facing choke side of carb. Be sure that bowl is installed so that the deepest part of bowl coincides with where float will hang. If float gets hung up and does not drop needle will remain seated thus not allowing fuel to enter bowl.

Old 02-12-07, 09:10 AM
Replaced needle and seat. let it snow!!! thanks for your help