Snowblower Getting Tired

Old 02-12-07, 07:24 AM
Snowblower Getting Tired

I have a 4 year old Ariens 28", 10HP, 2-stage walk behind that I find I'm pushing more than it's pulling me.

It starts out with the first pull everytime, I allow it to idle for a while, then turn off the choke. When I set the speed control to the fastest notch, I find I have to push it a bit to get it going. The augers work fine and it throws snow real well. I also don't have any reverse anymore and have to wrestle with it to pull it backwards.

I change the oil and spark plug before each season and tighten up everything on the outside of the unit.

Is there a problem with the drive train that isn't setting the gears right?

I live in Central New York where we've had over 8 feet of the stuff this week and my 60 year old body is getting tired of the wrestling match with the blower!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 08:29 AM
Without having all the numbers on machine, I am going to give you a generic answer that should help you.

It sounds like you need to adjust the linkage on the lever that engages the drive. either at the top or bottom of the lingage you should a threaded portion with a lock nut that needs to be loosened and then you can adjust. If you turn the blower up on the augers and remove bottom plate you will see a speed disk (all metal) and a friction disk (has rubber on it). With the machine in neutral the distance between the 2 should be 1/16th of an inch about the thickness of a US quarter. I believe you will find the space to be greater, you need to adjust to close the gap.

I apologize for the vagueness, hopefully it makes sense and you can get her going. Let us know results.

Old 02-12-07, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I'll try doing that if we get a break in the snow. 9 days in a row with about 8 feet this past week, and more coming.

Your suggestion sounds logical, as I imagine the vibrations over a 4 season period could loosen up linkage pretty easily.

Bob

Old 02-12-07, 10:59 AM
In addition to vibration, the rubber on the friction disk does wear and needs to replaced after time. You can make the adjustment without opening up the bottom if you need it for the upcoming storm. I believe you will find that in reverse with the drive lever engaged you will be able to move the blower forward and backwards. If this is the case, try adjusting the linkage a small bit. Then try repeating. When you engage the drive lever and you cannot move the machine in reverse you should be close to where you need to be until you have the time to open it up.