Whats better 1 or 2 cylinders?

Old 02-12-07, 07:47 PM
Question Whats better 1 or 2 cylinders?

I have a 1 cyl briggs 12.5hp engine and I also have a 12.5hp briggs 2 cyl in a lawn tractor. There both verticle shaft engines and the same hp, why did they make a 1 and a 2 cyl in the same size? Is the 2 cyl engine better then the 1 cyl?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-07, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The twin is generally smoother and has better throttle response to governor control. It may also have more torque. Is it a V-twin vanguard? (I don't recall a vanguard 12.5hp engine, but they may have made one). If so, it's an excellent engine that I'd prefer over the L-head single cylinder engine anyday.

Old 02-13-07, 07:29 PM
No its not a V twin I wish it was, its just as a cylinider on each side of the block. So far Im liking the 1cyl alot better, maybe when I get this one running I will change my mind.

Old 02-14-07, 06:23 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I agree the twins usually pack a bit more umph, however I personally favor the singles for simplicity and longevity especially if all its doin is cuttin grass.

Old 02-14-07, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
I agree the twins usually pack a bit more umph, however I personally favor the singles for simplicity and longevity especially if all its doin is cuttin grass.
Working on the engine I would take a single cylinder anyday. The 2 cyl may be harder to stall out which would be nice.

Old 02-21-07, 08:58 AM
Maintenance and repair are easier on a single cylinder, and that's what I prefer. Actually Kohler cast iron block "K" series motors from the 1970s to early 1990s to be specific.

Old 02-21-07, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh yeah...those K series and magnums are the best. Trouble is, they don't fit on most mower platforms nowadays because they're horizontal shaft. Those K series engines have the stroke/torque out the wazoo. I have a few machines of my own with 231s on them. 2 Wheelhorses, a cub cadet, and a Deere (the deere has a 8hp).

Old 02-21-07, 08:10 PM
I have a JD 110 with a 8hp kohler, not just the engine but the entire tractor is better then anything else I have. I would trade all the junk I have for one of those. I would like to have a 112, the 8hp is ok but I would like a little more power. Im trying to get this white running so I can sell it and find a older tractor thats built like a tractor, I drove the white without the rear fenders on and that thing was flexing all over the place. The JD 110 I can barely drag sideways, this new stuff I can drag it all over. One thing thats nice about the newer tractors is when your working on it and it falls on you you can throw it off, the JD 110 will break some ribbs.

Old 02-21-07, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, the 110 is probably as heavy as 3 or 4 modern mowers. I have a 110 (with the 8hp) and a 140 that I'm currently retrofitting with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine.

Old 02-21-07, 08:22 PM
I love my old mtd with a twin cyl 18 bs, I once towed a small RV with it ! I use it now mostly for snowblowing real hard to bog down the engine. Yes they are harder to work on but preformance is well worth that trade off to me.

Crom

Old 02-21-07, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Yup, the 110 is probably as heavy as 3 or 4 modern mowers. I have a 110 (with the 8hp) and a 140 that I'm currently retrofitting with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine.
Oh cheese, thats my dream machine, what did you pay for that engine? I cant find a used one anywhere and the few new ones Ive seen were far from cheap. Teh closest I came was a mercury topaz with a mistubesi diesel for $400. I never seen a 140 before, I think that would be a nice size for me. I want a heavy duty tractor to put a front end loader on and hopefully a backhoe if I can scrounge up the cash. My dad has all the books for the 110 and there was 3 options for a front end loader for it. I got that craftsman mower I was planning on selling to. I should be able to get around $500 for it.