Snapper snow thrower

Old 02-13-07, 09:59 PM
Snapper snow thrower

Hi all.

I have a Snapper snow thrower that has a Tecumseh 5 hp motor on it. Last year I replaced the shear pin. Since then it does not want to run, I have good spark but all it will do is try to start but backfire though the carburetor.

If the timing cannot be but what it is, what would be causing this?

Thanks

OHSK55 69513B H
VTP195U1G1R9
195 DOM 7196B

Last edited by SHOZ123; 02-15-07 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Corrected serial number
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-07, 06:28 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Was the key sheared when you replaced it?
If the nut is not tightened properly or the shaft was lubed... the key may have sheared. It would be worth verifying.
If not the key possibly valve issue...

Old 02-14-07, 11:02 AM
The original key was almost totally sheared off. It has a new one now and that is in good condition. The motor has less that 30 hours on it so I would hope it isn't valves.

Old 02-14-07, 02:12 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Internal damage could have been caused if the engine fired while the key was sheared. I don't think its that common in smaller engines.
I am not able to find documentation on your engine using the #'s you provided. If it is an overhead valve and the shear key is ok, I would suspect possible valve train problems.
Maybe a grounded switch or wire in the kill circuit being intermittent or weak plug or spark.
Is the spark plug wet with fuel after attempting to start it?

Maybe some others with better reference and experience on snow kings have more...

Old 02-15-07, 11:45 AM
I had the serial number wrong it is now corrected.

I do have spark, a new plug, fresh fuel, the compression will push my thumb off the spark plug hole when cranking and there is good suction on the intake tube when cranking.

I does not look like there is any fuel on the plug. There is fuel in the bowl. When I push the primer button it will eventually push fuel out the top of the carburetor.

So this would point to a carburetor problem I assume?

Old 02-16-07, 05:50 PM
Try a spoonful or two of gas directly into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Ensure plug is dry and properly gapped. (New plugs are seldom properly gapped out of the box. Should be .030")

Try to start your machine. If it fires and runs for 2-5 seconds before dying, your spark is likely OK; you probably have a fuel problem. Carburetor maintenance is discussed in other threeads. See "MTD snowblower...." for relevent comments.

Old 02-17-07, 11:54 AM
Already did that. I get a good spark. Cleaned out all the ports on the carb and am now getting gas.

I'm going to take the flywheel off again and look at the shear key. If that is OK then it;s the head next.