Murray Riding mower with 11 HP B&S

Old 02-21-07, 05:47 PM
Question Murray Riding mower with 11 HP B&S

I got a free riding mower!! It's a Murray from Wal-Mart. Probably the smallest one they make. It has an 11HP Briggs motor. It unfortunatly has been sitting for about a years and wasn't in a garage. I change the batery and the fuel line and the fuel filter and cleaned the carb out and the engine runs now so I'm proud of that. However when I release the clutch and allow it to engage the engine stalls out. This happens whether it's in one of the gears or in neutral. I'm thinking maybe the clutch is frozen up or the rear end. I'm used to woking on Jeeps and am pretty good with a wrench so I think I can tackle this with out taking it to a shop and paying someone to fix this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 06:55 PM
With the sparkplug out, raise the mower deck and see if there isn't something jamming one of the blades. Try to turn each blade to check for freeness and look at the blade brake which swings over and lays hard against one of the blade drive pulleys to stop the blades quickly when you knock the blade drive handle off and make sure it is not stuck. Please let me know what you find.

Old 02-21-07, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Press the clutch and lock it in, then reach under the mower and try to turn the transaxle input shaft by hand to see if it turns freely. If not, you may have transaxle trouble.

Old 02-21-07, 08:02 PM
thank you

I'll try that tomorrow when it's light out again. Again thank ya'll!

Old 02-22-07, 06:49 PM
With the engine off that is. Be sure to check the brake for being rusted/froze too.