Recommedation on leaf blowers

Old 02-21-07, 07:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recommedation on leaf blowers

Hi all,

I am finally getting tired of raking and sweeping and going to invest in a leaf blower. My yard isn't that big (1/4 acre) but i have several big oaks and the leaves are about to fall (in Texas). My questions:

Gas vs. Electric?

Is the vacuum/shred/bag function useful or should i just get a blower?

I was comparing the Troy built 31cc 205 MPH Gas Blower, Vacuum and Mulcher (Lowes) and the Echo Shred n Vac® Model ES-210 (HD). Any feedback?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-07, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
In my opinion, with just 1/4 acre, I would think about getting an electric blower. Although you need a cord, they are generally much easier to use. Less trouble, no mixing gas and oil to worry with, just plug it in and go.

Gass blower are generally more powerful and more versatile. They are also more trouble prone, louder, and heavier. If you opt for a gas unit, I would reccomend paying more now to save more later. You'll have less trouble and worry with a good unit, like a stihl or echo.

Old 02-22-07, 06:18 AM
J
Thanks, How about the vacuum/mulch function? I sounds really convenient, but i've heard reviews that it's not very useful and doesn't work well. It's a difference of about $50 to have the vaccum/mulch on the echo.

Old 02-22-07, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The mulch/bag feature on hand held blower/vacs really isn't very useful due to the smallish bag with such. You'll be emptying it rather often. If you're looking for this feature, a walk behind vacuum would be the better way to go. Of the two you are looking at, I'd go with the Echo. My opinion only.

Old 02-22-07, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, for the same reasons. The vacuum is a bit awkward on all the handheld ones I've used, and the bag is so small it's about pointless.

Old 02-23-07, 05:09 AM
I've had the Echo now for about three years and used the vac -n- shred for the 1st time this past fall. There are 2 huge oaks in our neighbors yard that fill our yard with leaves in the fall. It takes about the same amount of time to pick them up by hand but with the vac you're not bending over as much and you can fit more leaves into a bag. Last year "05'" I bagged 27 and this year only about 1/2 that "yeah I keep track of useless information" with the same or more leaves this year "06'".

Old 02-23-07, 06:14 AM
J
Thanks for the input! Now I can't wait to go out and get a blower and start working in the yard.

Old 02-28-07, 06:22 AM
J
oil questions

Hi all, me again,

So i went out and got the Echo which is great, but i have a question about the oil additive. I already have a gas weed trimmer that uses "2 cycle 40:1" oil, but the blower comes with a bottle of "2 cycle 50:1" oil.

can I use the same oil/gas mixture or will i need to get another tank to keep them seperate. I already have a seperate gas can for my mower, so i'd rather not keep all these different gas cans in my garage.

thanks

Old 02-28-07, 07:29 AM
B
What was the price difference between the Stihl and Echo. I borrow my dads, but am looking at buying one myself. My dad has a Stihl with the number 85 on the side. Ive been looking at some at Bomgaars with the number 55 on the side. This runs $159. Does anybody know what these numbers mean? I love my dads and want one with at least that much power.

Old 02-28-07, 09:04 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I can't be sure about the numbers you are refering to, however I think blowers are rated for power by the speed (in MPH) of the air they blow.

As for which to buy I agree with the previous post by cheese.
Although I have not worked on great numbers, the ones I have seen that were not Stihl or Echo, were DOA!

Old 02-28-07, 12:07 PM
You got the best brand,my opeion too.There isn't much differance between 40:1 and 50:1,and the 40:1 mix will not hurt anything except the warrenty,so at lest till the warrenty runs out I'd stick with the EHCO 50:1 mix,just in case you may need a repair done at some point.

Old 03-02-07, 05:18 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
We've been selling synthetic 2-cycle oil for many years and our opinion on synthetics is that this is the only way to go. When you buy a new unit, however, you need to run 2-3 tank fulls of petrolium based oils in order for the engine to break-in. After the break-in period you can (and I highly recommend) use a synthetic oil. With synthetic oil, it matters not what the engine manufacturer recommends for a fuel/oil ratio. You mix the ratio at the oil manufacturers recommendation. Not all synthetics are alike and be sure to use a quality, name-brand synthetic such as Amsoil or Opti. Not that there aren't other names of oils but I know these to be very good oils. Using such oils you can forget about having 2-3 different cans of fuel at home and simply use this one mix for all your 2-cycle equipment (unless a particular piece of equipment calls for a mix of 60:1 or leaner, then you'll need a supply of that alone and separate of all other equipment). The one container will cover your equipment whether it be 16:1 or 50:1.

Old 03-02-07, 09:49 PM
Echo blowers are underpowered, you can get a decent very powerful stihl for around $ 160.00 at an authorized dealer.
50:1 or 2 % oil mix is about right for pretty much all 2 cycle newer equipment,
you can also buy oil that is safe for all ratios, that is you mix it it at 2 % ( or 50:1 like amateurs say ) and that will be ok for any other ratio requirement.
2.6 Oz per Gallon of gas.

Old 03-03-07, 12:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
50:1 is what amateurs say? Read the labels, manuals, oil cans, etc... I don't ever recall them saying 2% instead of 50:1. Yeah, they're the same thing, but the accepted lingo is 50:1 in the 2-stroke world.

Echos are excellent quality machines.

This reply is in defense of the professionals and their advice given here. Please don't refer to them/us as amateurs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: