Cheese: Briggs easy start

Old 02-22-07, 04:51 AM
Cheese: Briggs easy start

Cheese, several weeks ago, you came up with an answer to a Briggs compression start that is not known by a lot of techs. I pulled the cam from one of these engines and sure enough there was that little bump on the back side of the cam that lifts the intake valve for a split second to allow easy start.
Can you give me any Briggs documentation that backs this up, as I have two old time techies who will not believe.
I have seen it with my own eyes and thank you for the research that made you aware of this and for passing it on to us. God Bless

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-07, 08:17 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I believe I have the info for briggs in hardback, but for tecumseh, this manual describes 3 ways they affect compression release. MCR, BCR and RCR

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Section on valves I think page 95 or so.

Old 02-22-07, 06:39 PM
Do you still have the cam out of the engine you saw for yourself? If so, show them that cam and explain that most, by far, small engines have this feature. As for evidence by way of service manuals, you would need to purchase one such, any one that Briggs publishes. I know of no free, online Briggs service manuals available to anyone other than registered dealers.

Old 02-22-07, 10:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I have anything documenting the fact from Briggs, but I can look. I don't recall it being explained in a manual, but then again, it's not often I look at a briggs manual unless it's for a torque spec or wear limit spec.

Old 02-23-07, 04:54 AM
I did purchase the Briggs single cylinder L head manual and it does not address the issue. I simply have a problem with people who don't believe what they SEE and wanted some doc from Briggs to prove a point. Anyway I am glad to find it out for myself through our moderator's post. THANKS

Old 02-23-07, 05:53 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by gardener321 View Post
Anyway I am glad to find it out for myself through our moderator's post. THANKS
Never fails to amaze...

Old 02-23-07, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't found any info in my literature, but there is a discussion here: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/4/17/131823/172 That mentions the easy spin cam, and it's operation, and mentions that there is a patent held by Briggs on the feature. An online patent search would probably reveal the patent, possibly the drawings, and thoery of operation.

I also noticed on Karting rules and regs, that some classes specifically allow or disallow alteration or removal of the easy spin function of the camshaft.

Old 02-24-07, 05:20 AM
Cheese, I pulled up the site that you gave me and sure enough there it is.
I am printing that and taking it to my friend, who will probably not believe it.
I have an old easy spin, so I intend to take the head off and take it to my friends place of business, mount his dial indicator over the intake valve and let him see for themselves. If they don't beleive then, I will have to just give up and put them in the same class as Thomas and the nail scarred hands.
Many thanks to all of you. Tom, the stubborn cuss.
PS: Ain't this fun? Great forum and a place of learning.

Search this Thread