Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman ll backfiring

02-22-07, 09:52 AM   #1  
Craftsman ll backfiring

Have a Craftsman ll 5 HP electronic ignition rototiller (model 247.298611)? that RAN good but had a periodic squealing noise coming from the recoil starter. I replaced both the starter pulley and starter clutch but now tiller will not start. It backfires into the carb and and feels like its about to break my arm off. Did I miss some setting when I screwed the clutch starter onto the crank? Thanks much. Mtnbkr

Sponsored Links

SC

02-22-07, 10:44 AM   #2  
Sounds like the flywheel key is sheared. Remove blower housing and remove nut from magneto/fan. Look at the keyway and see if the key has shifted some. Doesn't take but precious little to give you the symptom. Tom

02-22-07, 03:30 PM   #3  
Craftsman ll backfiring

Tom, You hit the nail on the head with your answer. Must of put too much pressure on the flywheel when I installed the starter clutch as the flywheel was about 180 degrees out and the key was sheared off. thanks much, Alan

NY

02-22-07, 06:22 PM   #4  
Actually, you did not properly torque the clutch (which is the flywheel nut) and likely were well under torque. By the way, the flywheel key is Briggs part number 222698S. And clutch torque will be 50 ft. lbs.

Search this Thread