Putting a electric fuel pump on a briggs.

Old 02-23-07, 10:18 AM
Putting a electric fuel pump on a briggs.

On this white lawn tractor with the 2cyl 12.5hp briggs I think it has a fuel pump on the carburator and I dont think its pumping any fuel. I know alot of people put a electric fuel pump on there carburated trucks when the mechanical pump fails. I was wondering if I could do the same with this engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-07, 12:08 PM
The problem with putting a fuel pump on lawn mower-style engines is that the carburetor needle valve isn't designed to handle the higher pressure of an automotive style pump, even the older pumps for carbureted cars and trucks. You'll end up overloading the needle valve and flooding the engine. There are low-pressure electric fuel pumps for lawn mower style engines, but they are hard to find and can be pricey. You might start by looking for a generator fuel pump.

Old 03-02-07, 09:58 AM
I know this is a number of days old, but you could simpy install a remote vacuum actuated fuel pump. The fitting on the crankcase already exists and you merely mount the new pump to a convenient location and attach new hose to the pump from the crankcase fitting and new fuel lines, if needed. Briggs part number 808656, I believe, should work.

Old 03-02-07, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
I know this is a number of days old, but you could simpy install a remote vacuum actuated fuel pump. The fitting on the crankcase already exists and you merely mount the new pump to a convenient location and attach new hose to the pump from the crankcase fitting and new fuel lines, if needed. Briggs part number 808656, I believe, should work.
It is a few days old but I havent touched the engine since I posted this, Im waiting for nicer weather. This sounds like what I need, Im going to see if I can find one.

Search this Thread