Removing a craftsman snowblower gearbox

Old 02-25-07, 08:57 AM
Question Removing a craftsman snowblower gearbox

The worm gear in my Craftsman snowblower model #536886260 appears to be stripped and I would like to remove the gearbox to open it up and take a look. However, I can't figure out how to remove the gear box from the shaft coming from the engine. It appears that there are some pins holding the shaft on, but I have not had any luck removing them.

Does anyone have experience with this that would have some advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-07, 09:22 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You can view an Illustrated Parts List by going here http://www3.sears.com/ and type in your model #.

Old 02-25-07, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link to the Sears site. I was able to find the schematic of the gearbox itself, but can't figure out exactly how to separate it from the shaft. It looks like there are a couple of spring pins holding it on, but I don't see how to remove them. Any ideas. Thanks again.

Old 02-25-07, 06:01 PM
Auger assy

The spring pins only hold the impeller to the input shaft. You need to remove the 4 bolts that mount the auger frame assy to the drive section & separate the two halves of the machine. Than remove the pulley from the auger gear box and the bolts that hold the auger shaft bearings to the housing. The auger gear box assy will than just pull out of the housing.

AJ