Help with generator

Old 02-25-07, 03:12 PM
Help with generator

I need some help with a generator, its from lowes and has a 10hp briggs on it and is 5000watt. Last night we had a ice storm and the power went out. So I got the beast out to run it for the sump pump in the basement and the engine wouldnt budge. So I was out in the freezing rain at 3am taking the engine apart trying to find a place to getahold of the crank to break it loose. I finaly got a screwdriver on the flywhell and taped it with a hammer and got it you turn. It fired up and ran for a few hours until the power came back on. I was wondering if anyone knows what happened? I dont want this thing to act up when I need it. I heard about plastic bearing cages on the generator getting hot and melting. This thing has only been used probably 3 times and it about 7yrs old, I keep it inside an take care of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-07, 05:53 PM
My guess is that you may just have some rust or corrosion built up on the flywheel magnets, take the blower housing off and look at the magnets, you can lightly sand any rust off and spray some lubricant on them to help prevent them from rusting up again, or I use nail polish on them to seal the magnets as well.

Old 02-26-07, 05:26 AM
how long has the generator sat unused ? was it running ok last time ?
when i put mine "to bed" i run the carb out of fuel, shoot a little oil in the spark plug hole and rotate the engine a couple times. then spray some fogging oil or WD40 in the hole and pull the starter rope once or twice. replace the plug and slowly pull the rope untill you feel resistance (finding top dead center) so that both the intake and exaust valves are closed. always use fuel stabilizer.

Old 02-26-07, 06:52 AM
It always ran good, I think the last time it was used was less then a year ago. I never ran the carb dry because I heard not to. I read someplace that all the seals in the carb would dry out.

Old 02-28-07, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by michaeljp86 View Post
It always ran good, I think the last time it was used was less then a year ago. I never ran the carb dry because I heard not to. I read someplace that all the seals in the carb would dry out.
it's the bad gas that causes more problems and i've seen more than a few with stuck valves. the bottom line is you must use stabilizer and you must exercise the generator. no peice of equipment likes to be ignored. i start and run mine every month for ten minutes or more and apply a load to it. i've had it since 2001 and have had no problems.
saved my butt twice during snow and ice storms.

Old 03-01-07, 02:29 PM
I agree absolutely, especially with generators; they should be fired up for a few minutes once a month. No small engine likes to be left sitting in some corner for months on end and then suddenly dragged out and started up.
Many small engine "no-starts" are the result of sitting far too long between uses.
I also suggest the oil be changed once a year just to clear out any condensation in the crankcase. If there are whiteish streaks in the oil; that's water. Very bad news in an emergency.

Old 03-02-07, 04:31 AM
To answer your question on the bearing cages, although this is possible, it is unlikely. I don't know specifically what you have for bearings but I dare say they are not cheepo bearings, they are most likely heavy-duty, steel encaged bearings. I'm inclined to agree with 30year in that you had rust accumulation on the flywheel magnets. By all means, follow the advice of the others for running it once monthly during inactivity. This is especially important on equipment stored during the summer months and those that are stored in hot climates year-round.