Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Backfire problems on Tecumseh HMSK80

03-01-07, 05:55 PM   #1  
Backfire problems on Tecumseh HMSK80

Hi,
I have a problem with my 2 years old Tecumseh HMSK80-110 snowblower.
When I start the engine it runs for 15-20 seconds and then backfire one or two times and dies. I can restart engine only if I squeez the prime button for few times (a lot). Then the whole situation repits again and again...
I've checked spark plug and it looks dark black. What should I do? Please help.
I need that snowblower quickly.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links

NY

03-02-07, 04:23 AM   #2  
If this has developed only recently and the machine has operated well the rest of the year then it's likely that you have an icing situation in the fuel system. Ideally, you'd like to remove the carburetor bowl and have a look for water/ice in the carburetor and main jet and remove all such visible. You may get away with merely adding isopropyl alcohol to the gas tank (about 1-2 ounce, initially) and allowing this to work for a period of 2-3 hours. I can't recommend enough the use of isopropyl regularly during the entire season at each fill-up of the tank and adding 1/4-1/2 ounce at each fill-up. The reason is that no walk-behind snowthrower has an air cleaner and therefore the carburetor intake opening is exposed to the elements and the liklihood of snow/water ingestion is high. If, on the other hand, you have a varnish accumulation, you may or may not need to soak the carburetor in a bath type cleaner and then recondition the carb with a rebuild kit. But, you may get away with merely cleaning out the main jet metering holes.

03-10-07, 03:29 PM   #3  
Tecumseh Backfiring

The first thing I would do is completely drain out all of the old gas...Shut off the fuel value, and disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Remove the power value under the carb. and clean all interal components with carb. cleaner. Spray carb. cleaner to power value, and take a needle, and be sure the small hole in the adjusting screw is completely clean. Now, spray all carb. linkages with cleaner, and lube with 711, be sure all components are lubed. Get some FRESH gas and add to tank.. Get a small cup, hold it under fuel line, open fuel line value, a see if fuel is draining out constantly into the cup, if so.....re-install fuel line to carb. If you havent replaced, gapped a new plug, do so before re-fire.... New spark plug installed, and gapped.....Final step, re-fire..Should be fine.. FRESH FUEL IS THE KEY... I run snowblowers year round, you dont want the fuel to turn into cleaning solvent.. Run the machine for 20 mins. every month, in the off season, and you will never have the types of problems.

Search this Thread