Toro snowthrower stalls out.

Old 03-03-07, 09:35 AM
Toro snowthrower stalls out.

I acquired a 1987 Toro CCR 2000 last winter and it worked well last year and the first time this year then it started stalling out and surging. Sometimes it runs better under a load and other times it will stall out under load. Usually if started and left to idle it will stall in about a minute after surging that whole time.

Its a 2 cycle 4.5 hp Suzuki engine. Mikuni carb. The snowthrower has been very lightly used over the years.

After the initial stalling out I took off the float bowl, float and needle and just cleaned them up a bit. Put it back together and it ran great for 30 minutes. Put it in the garage for the night and came out to a garage full of gas on the floor. Since then it's been all downhill.

I've had that float bowl off cleaing, adjusting, and inspecting the parts at least 30 times. Cleaned the main jet, and the other jet on top, as and have sprayed the carb inside and out with carb cleaner. Spark plug has a little extra oil around it but nothing real unusual.

The only thing I've noticed is maybe the tip of the low speed adjuster screw is just slightly bent as if someone, could have been me, might have tightened that puppy down a bit too much before backing it up. But the problems was occuring before that screw was touched.

Any encouragement will be appreciated!

I must say though, throughout this whole ordeal it has thrown a foot and a half of snow the past couple weeks, but it has not been working properly regardless.

Mark

Last edited by Knottypine; 03-03-07 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 11:45 AM
Last test:

When I hold the engine "wide open" manually it runs good. After holding it wide open then letting it return to idle mode, it surges and stalls within 20 seconds.

Old 03-03-07, 02:01 PM
Scratch that last test. It dies out when throttle plate is held open as well.

Carb is off the engine and I'm off to get the carb soak now. I'll let the parts soak overnight. We will see if that works tomorr.

Old 03-03-07, 02:34 PM
I would highly recommend a carb kit from your dealer. If you're going to so much trouble, it's well worth a couple of extra bucks to start with fresh parts.

Gas all over the garage floor says your inlet jet is not seating properly and/or the float is sticking.

The bent tip on the idle screw is a big no-no.

Stalling, surging, etc. all point to a fuel delivery problem and a fresh carb kit should restore performance, providing parts are installed and adjusted correctly.

Old 03-03-07, 03:21 PM
Advise taken backyardwonder.

I called a local Toro dealer and he has some parts in stock for the carb ( gaskets, inlet jet, float ) and he can order any others I need like the idle screw. Don't think there a standard kit for these older carbs. The carb is soaking now.

That inlet jet and float setup is a touchy and fussy. There is no seat part number though for this carb and this has me concerned.

Enjoy the weekend!

Mark

Old 03-04-07, 11:35 AM
The carb has been bathed, brushed, bathed again and blown with compressed air. It's sparkly clean now!

It's gotta be a needle valve seat problem. Purdy sure about that now.

The needle valve will stick in the rubber seat when the float drops, also when the float is resting on the black bracket ( the factory bottom point ) I can't blow air through the fuel line fitting into the carb.
When the bracket is off it will drop the float (and thus the needle) enough to get the air through with ease.

I'm tempted to use a hair pin to try pull that seat out and take a look. The parts guy isn't in today anyway.

Old 03-04-07, 04:32 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If there is no # for the seat it may not have one. If your needle has a rubber tip then you should not have a rubber seat.
I would also check your fuel system from the tank including all fittings valves filters. Also any fuel lines that feel soft or look deteriorated.

Old 03-05-07, 11:27 AM
Good News!
Purchased
1. Needle valve and seat kit $17.00
2. Float bowl rubber gasket $4.00
3. Float bowl bolt gasket $4.50 ( no joke! )
4. Spark Plug $3.50

Put carb back together and installed back on the engine over lunch hour. No stalling, no surging, no gas a leaking!

I'll make sure I store it properly over the summer this time.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-06-07, 04:29 PM
Congratulations!

You now know about all there is to know about small engine float type carbs and you have successfully applied your new knowledge.

In my experience, possibly 4 out of 5 small engine problems are fuel and/or carb related so you're good to go now.

Search this Thread