5hp tecumpseh needs choke on to run

Old 03-03-07, 03:12 PM
5hp tecumpseh needs choke on to run

i have a 5hp tecumpseh on a toro 521 snowblower. it starts fine, but will die if i turn the choke off. if i use my finger to move the throttle (bypassing the governor) i can get the engine to rev up. my initial thought was the engine is starved for fuel, but why would it rev up as described?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 06:15 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Unless you can rev it up with the choke off/open I would still guess you have a fuel flow issue. The restriction being in the carb.

Old 03-03-07, 11:35 PM
You may have an adjustment valve on the bottum of the brass bowl that you can adjust to make it run. It would be in the center of the carb on the bottem not all tecumseh engines have it but it's worth a look. I would guess you need to turn it out to halp it run but if that don't work try turning it in

Old 03-04-07, 12:41 PM
problem solved

i read in some other threads about the tiny hole in the main adjustment nut underneath the bowl becoming plugged. i removed this cleaned it out with carb cleaner, a sewing needle & fishing line. i reassembled everything and had to turn the main adjustment screw out about 3 turns.

Old 03-04-07, 04:20 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
3 turns sounds a bit much. You may still have some build up on the inside of the carb where the main threads into.