Tecumseh HMSK80 Snow King Stalls

Old 02-25-07, 03:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh HMSK80 Snow King Stalls

I'm extremely new here, so please be patient, as this looks to be the best place on the web to help solve my issue. I was using my snowblower today (it's about 3-4 years old), when it suddenly just begain stalling and finally died. I can no longer start it.

I've been looking at some things on the web, and it seems like I may have a clogged fuel problem. Unfortunately, this is just a guess for me, and the fixes I have seen speak of removing or cleaning a carburetor drain bowl--but I have no clue what this is. I do see the line from the gas tank that goes to what I assume is the carburetor, but I'm not sure how to begin the cleaning process.

I apologize in advance if I'm being to vague, and I appreciate any help.

Thx!

Old 02-25-07, 04:40 PM
B
The first thing I would suggest you do is go to the Tecumseh web site and get a print out of the parts manual for your engine. Familiarize yourself with the carb and it's parts and we can go from there. I would not recommend removing anything just yet until you have some idea of it's components. Several parts are very small and often fall on the ground unnoticed and are never properly reinstalled. Loose one little piece and you will need a whole new carb kit at some expense to get a replacement of one little piece.

It's a simple enough process but for a newcomer, it pays to do the research. I see many a machine with all the carb bits and pieces in a shoebox because the aspiring mechanic couldn't put everything back together after prematurely taking it all apart.

Last edited by backyardwonder; 02-26-07 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 04:42 PM
B
P.S. Remove the spark plug, put a couple of tablespoons of gas into the cylinder and put the spark plug back in.
Try to start it up. If it fires 3-4-5 times, then dies it is a pretty good sign you have a fuel supply problem.

Last edited by backyardwonder; 02-26-07 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 05:18 PM
T
Just a clarification

Backyard--what cylinder? Where the spark plug is?

Old 02-26-07, 11:56 AM
B
The spark plug is right on top of the engine.

However, the nature of your question suggests you would be extremely well advised to do some serious, in depth research before you touch anything, or just request a service call from any small engine shop.

Old 03-02-07, 05:51 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It sounds as though you should locate a reputable service dealer in your area.

Old 03-02-07, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by toddlok
I'm extremely new here, so please be patient, as this looks to be the best place on the web to help solve my issue. I was using my snowblower today (it's about 3-4 years old), when it suddenly just begain stalling and finally died. I can no longer start it.

I've been looking at some things on the web, and it seems like I may have a clogged fuel problem. Unfortunately, this is just a guess for me, and the fixes I have seen speak of removing or cleaning a carburetor drain bowl--but I have no clue what this is. I do see the line from the gas tank that goes to what I assume is the carburetor, but I'm not sure how to begin the cleaning process.

I apologize in advance if I'm being to vague, and I appreciate any help.

Thx!
Well it sounds like you may have a fuel problem, common with blowers/mowers that have sat around for the season and only run for a short time. You may have some water in the gas which means you will have to, as a minimum, drain the gas out of the system and replace it with good gas. That requires removing your float bowl on the carb. Water likes to sit in there and has to be physically removed either buy taking off or draining the bowl itself. Some carbs have a small bolt or screw on the bottom of the bowl. Maybe you can just unscrew it and let it drain that way. Be careful, there may be a small seal on the bolt or screw itself to keep it from leaking when you replace it. If you have to remove the float bowl, you will probably have to replace the gasket as well. Just remember to always use a fuel additive when storing a mower or blower during the off-season and fill the tank to the top. This way theres no room for water. If you drain the tank completely for storage, then you have to worry about rust. I always fill er up. Anyway, I hope this helps you out..good luck..

Old 03-02-07, 03:11 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Toddlok
You might give this a try, download it for future reference. Have a nice one. Geo

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 03-03-07, 02:50 PM
T
Checking in

Just to clarify--I knew where and what the spark plug was. I just wasn't familiar with the cylinder.

Nonetheless, I did get it started for about 30 seconds, then it died. I pulled out the spark plug, and it's as dry as can be.

Now I'm moving on to the gas issue/tests.

Thx!

Todd

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: