Help!!! Briggs statrer cogs breaking

Old 03-08-07, 04:59 PM
Help!!! Briggs statrer cogs breaking

18hp opposing twin breaks starter cogs in two pieces as soon as engagement to flywheel takes place. Old cog was worn but still working.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-07, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are the replacement gears original Briggs parts? If not, go with original. I've never had much luck with aftermarket starter gears. They usually break in half. Usually a problem with the starting system will cause other damage to the gears, not break them in half, which is what's leading me to think the gears are aftermarket. Original will come in a sealed plastic bag with briggs logo on it.

Old 03-09-07, 06:32 AM
Also, check the condition of the flywheel ring gear as well as the frame of the starter for trueness. If you have a damaged ring gear and it is "plastic" then this can be replaced (Briggs part number 696537). If it is steel (iron) then you shouldn't have an issue with it. If the starter frame is bent this will cause a poor meshing of the teeth and could then ruin the starter gear. You should post back with your specific engine ID numbers and we can advise you on the correct Briggs part number for the starter gear.

Old 03-09-07, 04:22 PM
Thanks Cheese and Puey for replying. It was an aftermarket gear and the Briggs part works just fine. Tom

Old 03-10-07, 08:25 AM
Good news, 321! For everyone else reading this, let it be a lesson. I recommend using OE (original equipment) parts whenever possible, they are, by far, better quality than aftermarket (AM). I've seen many jobs come into my shop with AM parts that have either failed, were poorly fit or manufactured with inadequate materials.