B&S 25 HP INteck Oil Leak

Old 03-11-07, 03:44 PM
B&S 25 HP INteck Oil Leak

B&S 25 HP Family YBSXS 7242YF mounted on a 2001 Sears mower. This was on a lable on the plastic cowling. Actually the 2nd engine in the mower due to knocking in the first 40 hours. Lucky me, it was under warranty. The Sears Manual list the engine as a Model #445777 Type 0154-E1.

With a little detective work I found that the crank gasket was leaking just below the left cylinder. Couldn't isolate until I placed a piece of paper next to the crankcase. The cooling fan was creating such a wind blast that it was blowing onto a cylinder cooling fin and dripping there. Caught the leak on the backside of the paper and the fin stayed dry.

Actually my question is how do I retime the engine after splitting the case to replace the gasket on the crankcase. Been a long time since I had a small engine open and never for one this big and complex. Are there any tricks of doing this job and not messing anything else up? Do I use a gasket glue ? on the gaskets. It looks like I should replace the exhaust gaskets since I will have to take them off. Is there anything else I should look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally there are marks to line up on the cam gear and crank gear for valve timing. No glue required but you may use gasket glue, like indian head to glue the gasket in place. If the exhaust gaskets are the metal type, and look to be in good shape, reuse them. If they're rusty and generally don't look good, use new ones.