Need Help Removing Chipper Impeller

Old 03-12-07, 05:08 AM
Unhappy Need Help Removing Chipper Impeller

I am working on a 6.5 hp Yard Machine by MTD. This unit was used a couple hours and then stored for a few years. At first, there were problems in the carburator which I have cleaned and repaired. When I started the machine up, it was clear that it has a busted Piston or Piston Ring. At any rate, I am attempting to tear it down and I have having trouble removing the Impeller Assembly. I have removed the shredder blade and can see nothing else holding the Impeller Assembly in place, yet I cannot remove it. I have attempted to use a puller without budging it and I don't want to apply so much force that I risk further damage to the unit. MTD basically says "we don't do repair instructions so go to trade school or take it to a repair center".

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 12:23 PM
Ok, here's the deal.

I continued to work on ways to remove the impeller and found that the combination of a good 2 jaw puller and a blow torch for heat did the trick.

The shaft is tapered and so is the inside of the Impeller assembly. So, between the torque on the shaft bolt, machine usage and a tiny amount of rust, this is what it took to remove the impeller assembly.

I wanted to come back and report it because I was unable to find this information and had to work it out on my own. Hopefully, it will be easier for someone else.

Old 03-12-07, 01:55 PM
Rust and age or not, these come off very difficult being a tapered shaft. I wish they would design a good impeller with a threaded ID in the impeller so that you can use a clutch puller screw much like you use on snowmobile engines. But, they don't and we're forced to use heat every time. I feel your pain, my friend, we see a dozen or so each season at my shop that we must go through the same procedure you went through.