12 v. throttle for Briggs

Old 03-12-07, 08:02 AM
12 v. throttle for Briggs

...I'm using an 18 hp twin Vanguard (horizontal) to run a pump on a dredge and I wonder if anybody knows a way to install an electrical motorized control for the throttle, so I can control it with a wired remote (sort of like the hand-held remote on 12 volt winches)....does Brigg make such a thing ?...or some aftermarket company ?....any input or idea appreciated it....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 02:14 PM
I've yet to see EVERYTHING in my lifetime thus far and I have never seen such a remote throttle but stay tuned. Perhaps someone has. I'm thinking that the model airplaners may have something that would be suitable, they obviously have a remote, servo type setup. If you have no luck on this site, perhaps a model airplane search would be helpful.

Old 03-12-07, 05:37 PM
...yeah, it sounds little strange, but really it would save me lots of gas and money.....you see, I'm under-water running a suction nozzle and many times I have to stop to move cobbles and boulders....I hear that engine going full speed up on the dredge (when it could be just idling) and it bugs me to know I'm wasting gas (not to mention the wear and tear)...a friend suggested using a 12v car window opener...I can do the underwater control part (using sealed magnetic switches), but it's the attachment of the 12v motor to the engine's throttle control where I'm stumped....I thought maybe some lawn mower manufacturer got fancy and installed some push button electric control for the throttle (instead of the wire thing).....the airplane servo control (wired, instead of wireless) is a good lead....I'll check it out.....thanks

Old 03-12-07, 06:26 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The original throttle control should be remote via a cable. You should be able to rig it up to a servo.
Some generators have have idle down coils. When draw drops below certain level a coil releases spring tension to idle if I recall correctly. I think it was a Briggs V twin.

Old 03-12-07, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think a simple push/pull solenoid would work fine. Like a power door lock or automatic choke solenoid. Diesel engines use them (shutdown solenoid). Rig it so that it's full throttle, but when the solenoid is engaged, it's at idle. (in case the solenoid or control goes bad, your equipment will revert to full throttle).

Old 03-13-07, 07:22 AM
...I like that solenoid approach for the simplicity...that's something I can tackle probably.....one thing though, with a solenoid the engine would go from idle to full throtle (or 3/4) immediately....would that be o.k. for this type of engine ?......thks......

Old 03-13-07, 08:16 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It should pose no problem. You are still buffered by the governor. It may require a bit more maintenance and precise carb adjustment. Idle speed set, and proper mixture for throttle advance. Any build up internal to the carb may be noticed sooner as well.
Might look at filtration of fuel and air more often. Check clean or change filters.

Search this Thread