Craftsman w/ 18.5hp Intek dies under load

Old 03-12-07, 08:49 AM
Craftsman w/ 18.5hp Intek dies under load

This mower starts up and runs fine, the govenor appears to work as the arm moves and the engine revs up when moving it. As soon as I let off the clutch/brake the engine sputters down and dies. I can leave the cluth/brake engaged and try to engage the blades and it does the same thing.

I jumpered the seat switch out, and I can start the mower without being on the seat so I don't think it is a switch.

Any other ideas? My weeds are growing!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 12:57 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You should be able to start it without an operator present if the parking brake is locked. And even with the switch shorted you most likely have the same symptoms. I would still put my money on a bad seat switch.

Old 03-12-07, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say the seat switch too. Not a bad switch, but a loose connection at it. There is a bump on the switch between the terminals, and a plunger on the connector in the same spot so that the bump on the switch pushed the plunger in the connector. The bump is so small that the slightest bit of slack in the connection doesn't allow the plunger to activate. This creates a short internally in the connector so that the system acts as if there was no operator on the seat. This also prevents people from jumping out the seat switch (you stated that you jumped the switch...but you can't because of this feature incorporated into the harness connector).

Old 03-13-07, 05:32 AM
The Fix

You were right, it was the switch which I am so grateful that you pointed me there. The switch itself wasn't bad but the jumper I had put in the switch cable to bypass the switch wasn't making contact.

Thanks Again....