Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Holland Diesel no start...

03-14-07, 06:01 AM   #1  
New Holland Diesel no start...

Hello all!
I'm trying to figure out why my friends New Holland Diesel TC290D won't start. It turns over but won't fire up. When cranking I'm sniffing the exhaust to see if I smell fuel but I don't. I don't know if I would.
I'm not very good with diesels so I need some help if you'd be so kind.
Here's what I've done...
In the fall I changed all the air filters, fuel filter, crankcase oil and filter. I started it up to run for a bit.
So, some time during the winter she tried to start it up but to no avail. She's never had this problem before and I've almost ruled diesel fuel gelling as it usually doesn't get below 15 in her barn.
As I was looking around on it yesterday I emptied the fuel filter bowl (nothing unusual such as water).
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks so much and may God bless!!
Peter

Sponsored Links

PA

03-14-07, 08:29 AM   #2  
Does this diesel have self priming injectors? Air in the fuel line may be the culprit if not self priming.

NY

03-14-07, 08:47 AM   #3  
What was the temperature at the time you attempted to start it? It certainly sounds as though you have a fuel system related issue and if it is not, in fact, gelled then the fuel pump is the first place to look, as Bontai indicated. If you are not familiar with diesel engines, I'd recommend having your dealer have a go at it. I do have some recommendations but if you are not careful with what I would (and I'm not going to) recommend, you can do some expensive damage. Temperature? Are you using winter mixed fuel?

03-14-07, 09:28 AM   #4  
I would suggest cracking the injector lines and cranking to see if any fuel spurts out...if not, then it's a fuel problem and/or air bound. Most of these engines have a small thumb primer located at the injection pump. You will most likely see/smell fuel from the exhaust if it is getting fuel. Another thing to check is to make sure critters have not built a nest in the air intake system.....this is very common with equipment stored in barns and such...some nests are contructed so well they will prevent the engine from getting enough air to fire. Air, fuel, and compression are all that's needed to run.

03-14-07, 11:43 AM   #5  
Thanks everyone for all the info!
Ihewitt, I'll crack the lines. Not sure where the injection pump is on this 3cyl. diesel or the thumb primer. I am going to assume that the fuel lines are coming out of the injection pump. I'll also check the intake for critters.
BTW, it was about 60 in the barn yesterday. We had a 70 degree here in WI yesterday. Very nice!
Thanks folks and I'll post back and let ya know!
I am very grateful for your help.
God bless,
Peter

03-15-07, 02:14 AM   #6  
Hey folks, I've gotta another question.
On my church school chevy diesels they have two pumps...one an external low pressure pump and another injection pump.
How many pumps are there on this tractor? Just one injection pump? Where are they located?
Thanks so much and may God bless!
Peter

03-15-07, 03:19 AM   #7  
On a 3-cylinder there should only be an injection pump....crack the lines loose at the injectors and crank the engine over.....you'll see spurts if it's getting fuel.

03-15-07, 05:46 AM   #8  
Thanks so much for that! I will crack the lines.
God bless!!
Peter

03-21-07, 04:22 AM   #9  
Hey folks!
I cracked the lines on the tractor and no fuel was coming out of them. Yes, there was a trickle, not bone dry, but when I cranked the engine I got nothing. There is something that seems to go into the side of the injector pump. It's cylindrical with one electrical wire on it. I assume it may be a solenoid of some sort. What is that?
So, I'm just wondering where I should go from here?
Thanks for everyone's help here at this forum! I am most grateful!!
May God bless your efforts ALWAYS!!
Peter

03-21-07, 10:49 AM   #10  
The cylinder with a wire sounds like a fuel shut-off solenoid...you should have voltage at the wire with the ignition switch on...you will probably also notice a small "click" once the solenoid is energized. I would make sure the wire is energized....can you use a multimeter? You should check the wire to see if it is grounded or works off voltage. On a lot of small diesels, the solenoid is equipped with a plunger that pushes against the stop lever on the injection pump (all external on the side of the injection pump)...if this is the case you should be able to see the plunger and related stop lever. Repair the electrical problem, or in the interim, disconnect the solenoid, KEEPING IN MIND you will not be able to shutdown the engine via the ignition switch, and crank the engine. The engine is not getting fuel which is why it's not running...if fuel is being pumped, you'll get plenty of fuel spurting from the cracked injector lines when cranking. Good luck!

03-23-07, 01:33 AM   #11  
So Ihewitt, you're saying that it may be the solenoid on the side? It's just one wire going to it. How is the solenoid attached? Does it screw in as I don't see any nuts or bolts connecting it to the pump?
I can't see any plunger or stop lever as I didn't take apart the pump (I'm assuming this is INTERNAL as I can't see anything externally).
Yes, there is a loud click when I turn the ignition on.
So, stupid question here...how would I stop the engine when I've disconnected the solenoid? AND if the solenoid is stuck in the 'shutoff' position how do I unstick it?
OK, TWO stupid questions!
Thanks so much Ihewitt and may God bless you and your weekend!!!
Peter

03-23-07, 03:10 AM   #12  
There's no such thing as a stupid question in here. The solenoid may control the stop lever internally....check if you have voltage at the solenoid with the ignition on. Don't take the pump apart! If you disable (unhook the wire) the solenoid and the engine starts, you can simply touch the wire to the terminal to shut the engine off. Most Bosch pumps are shut down by removing voltage from the solenoid....when the solenoid is energized the plunger pushes the stop lever (some injection pump stop levers are external some internal) which shuts off fuel. Is the loud click coming from the solenoid? It's possible the solenoid is bad (stuck in the no fuel position) but I'm betting on no voltage at the wire. I'm not sure how the solenoid is attached on this particular pump but I'll do some checking into it.

03-23-07, 03:24 AM   #13  
Try this website to get a good view of the injection pump that is probably on your engine www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/engine/fi/injpump.html This site explains how the pump works and more importantly, how the solenoid (magnet valve) works...good luck!

03-23-07, 03:42 AM   #14  
Thanks for that site although it doesn't look anything like the pump on this tractor. I'll have to get a pic of the thing and post it here.
Yes, the loud click IS from that solenoid but I'm thinking (from your info) that the solenoid may be stuck in the no fuel position. That would be the least expensive route to take first anyhow.
Can we post pics here Ihewitt?
I'm sure glad you're helping out here. This lady is in bad shape (financially) and may lose what she has. Otherwise, I'd have no problem advising her to get a tech out there.
Thanks so much!!
Peter

03-23-07, 03:54 AM   #15  
Thanks for that site although it doesn't look anything like the pump on this tractor. I'll have to get a pic of the thing and post it here.
Yes, the loud click IS from that solenoid but I'm thinking (from your info) that the solenoid may be stuck in the no fuel position. That would be the least expensive route to take first anyhow.
Can we post pics here Ihewitt?
I'm sure glad you're helping out here. This lady is in bad shape (financially) and may lose what she has. Otherwise, I'd have no problem advising her to get a tech out there.
Thanks so much!!
Peter

03-23-07, 03:58 AM   #16  
It doesn't look as though I can post a pic so here's the site I just found with a good pic of the inj. pump and solenoid.
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php
You'll have to enter the model number which is TC29D then select any of the engines listed.
Thanks!!
Peter

03-23-07, 09:50 AM   #17  
I have found that your tractor should have a Shibaura 29 HP diesel but I can't find any engine pictures that are clear enough to identify the injection pump....it appears this is a direct inject pump, meaning there are injector lines for each cylinder. I would try looking at the solenoid again and see how it may be removed...I doubt that it's screwed into the injector pump housing directly...maybe a clamp around the base with a screw or two holding it on? While you're looking at it, how about removing the fuel filter (if more than one filter use the one closest to the pump) and see how much fuel is in the filter....should be full to the top...if more than 1" below top of filter I would prime the fuel system. Normally, if the solenoid is clicking then it is working but it could still be bad. I wish I could be of more assistance but I can't seem to locate any pictures of the engine itself and partucularly the injection pump. I was not able to access the web site you referenced.

04-22-07, 02:18 PM   #18  
We can mark this one fixed as it was the solenoid that was sticking. A new pump for this baby is around $950!
Thanks so much lhewitt for all your help and may God bless!
Peter

04-23-07, 05:35 AM   #19  
Hey..good news! Thanks for letting us know.

PA

04-24-07, 07:51 AM   #20  
I love a happy ending!

Glad to hear that you got 'er fixed and for a lot less than a new pump.

Search this Thread
LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/outdoor-gasoline-electric-powered-equipment-small-engines/297953-new-holland-diesel-no-start.html
Posted By For Type Date
Oil & Fuel TC-25D Barely Keep it Running This thread Refback 08-16-17 05:30 PM