B&S 4hp runs for a couple min then dies

Old 03-15-07, 12:02 PM
B&S 4hp runs for a couple min then dies

i have a 4hp briggs and stratton engine on my mower, when i start it it runs great for about a couple minutes then dies. the primer bulb is sucked in and i have to wait 30sec to a minute for it to po out again. i prime it again a couple times and it starts right up and runs for probably 20-40 seconds then dies. then i have to repeat the steps above. does anyone know what this may be? prior to this problem i had an idling problem of the up and down idle due to a bad diaphram gasket, i replaced that and cleaned the carburator out. Now it does this dying thing. please help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-07, 01:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's still a carb problem, although I don't believe I've ever seen one suck the bulb in and it stay in like that. I'd tend to think there is a problem in the primer check valves or the diaphragm installation.

Old 03-22-07, 12:00 PM
Rayzor, how'd you make out with your trouble? Generally, for the primer bulb to suck in upon running there likely is debris clogging the pickup that sets into the reservoir of the gas tank and this pickup is integral to the carburetor and is the short pickup. But don't overlook the other pickup, the one that goes into the gas tank and this is the long tube on the carburetor.

Search this Thread