Toro 521 Snowthrower, model 38052

Old 03-17-07, 11:24 AM
Toro 521 Snowthrower, model 38052

Started clearing off results of our latest snow storm this morning with my Toro 521 Snowthrower. Snow was very heavy and wet. Snowthrower is a 5hp and seemed to work ok at first as long as I didn't push it. After awhile the main, or primary auger, (on the left side from the operators position) stopped turning. The other auger seems to work ok.
I can turn the auger that stopped working by hand, it doesn't feel like it is attached to any gears....does this sound like a sheer-pin or something equivalent? If so, is it a difficult job to replace?
I can use all the help I can get.....thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-07, 07:30 PM
You should have a shear pin in there. & it sure sounds like it's broke on that side. If so, use the proper shear pins, & I'd recommend changing the one on the other side at thesame time. If you go to the Toro website, they have an excellent parts look-up. Be armed with you're model & serial numbers, & have fun!! Roger

Old 03-22-07, 02:25 AM
jmel, how'd you make out? I know that these can be difficult to replace the shear bolts since they have a drum style collector. I've had to remove the end panel of the auger housing in the past in order to gain access to the bolt. Let us know, if you would please.