Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton 15 HP Twin Cylinder

03-17-07, 05:51 PM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton 15 HP Twin Cylinder

I was given a fixer upper Craftsman Riding Mower, Model 536.255870, it has a 15 HP Twin Cylinder Cast Iron Sleeve, Model 402707 Type 1235 01 (code 9304245B) it looked to be in fairly good shape other than flat tires and sitting for a long time. I removed the gas tank, cleaned and replaced, new fuel filter and fuel lines, changed the oil, new plugs and she started right up (for about 3 minutes). I started checking things over and found gas in my new oil. I thought the engine was probably shot but I came to this website and found out problem might be with carburetor. So, I re-built the carburetor (and it was really bad but cleaned up nicely) and now being encouraged I decided to go ahead and put a new air filter on it, fixed all the tires, cleaned it all up and she fired right up, put it in gear and she moved about 3 feet before she died. It seems to run fine but not enough to engage blades or drive forward. Came back to website and researched problem, found suggestions so I pulled right plug wire off with engine running using rubber coated pliers (got shocked)engine kept running and i didn't notice any difference in engine, put that one back on then pulled left plug wire (got shocked again) and this time engine died. So I guess one cylinder isn't working (I know it's getting fire) Any suggestions? (I already tried to find the answer on here) Sorry so long.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

03-17-07, 06:55 PM   #2  
It may be only a dead spark plug. Did you try another one?? New is not always a good one. Or even switch them from side to side & see if the same cylinder shock kills the engine (or you) when you pull the plug wire off ?? (Bet you're not too crazy to try this again, are You??) Roger

03-17-07, 07:55 PM   #3  
Roger-
Forgot to mention in my first post I did change out the plug on the bad cylinder side back to the original plug and started the engine, pulled the plug wire with the same results as before so i didn't think it was the plug (even got shocked again with plyer handles wrapped in rag)
So after reading your reply, that sounds like a good way to make sure it's not the plug. So I did just that, I put the plug I know is good on the bad cylinder side (switched them) and still same results (only this time I wrapped heavy string around head of plug wire and stood back 8' to pull)
Thanks for replying and for any help with my problem. I'm certainly no mechanic and not sure where to go from here.

Non-US

03-17-07, 08:30 PM   #4  
The ignition systems can be pretty strong on these little engines, can't they?? Have you done a compression test yet?? Checked valve clearence??? Check it out & let us know, Good luck, Roger

Non-US

03-17-07, 08:36 PM   #5  
The ignition systems can be pretty strong on these little engines, can't they?? Have you done a compression test yet?? Checked valve clearence??? Check it out & let us know, Good luck, Roger

03-17-07, 09:15 PM   #6  
Found part if not all the problem. Hate to admit it but I had stuck a bare copper wire shorting across the seat switch so I could work on the mower. That was somehow interfering with the clutch switch, when I released clutch mower was dying. But now went to engage blades as before and some cable broke so I may be back.

Search this Thread