Briggs 18.5 Intek Engine Problem

Old 03-19-07, 12:24 PM
Briggs 18.5 Intek Engine Problem

I have the below riding mower:

2004 TroyBilt, Bronco, 42" Cut, (Briggs, 18.5 HP, InTek, OHV Engine)

Background:

Last season the mower was hard to start. It would start one week and not the next. I bought a new battery but it did not help. Would barely crank but not turnover and start. So, I limped through the season with the starting problem.

Today, I experienced the same starting problem--would not turnover even though the battery had just been charged and was at full strength.

Finally, after about thirty attempts to start, it turned over and started. However, this time white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I let it run-thinking it would smooth out and stop smoking but it continued belching a large amount of of white smoke.

Finally, I shut it down, got off the tractor and noticed an approximate 6"
-8" pool of oil under the exhaust port muffler. Also noticed some oil dripping off/out of the muffler.

Also, the oil reservoir and dip-stick smell heavily of gasoline. When I checked the oil prior to the first starting attempt, I noticed the oil on the dip-stick was very clean-clear looking. I have not changed the oil since last last year. My guess the oil should have been a lot darker looking. (??)

This is the first time this white smoking and oil drainage has occurred. I had checked the oil level prior to starting attempts and it was full. I did not add any oil. I have never used any additives in the oil or gas. It has never been in a repair shop.

Any thoughts on the excessive white smoke and oil from the exhaust?

Thx
Arc

Last edited by Arclight; 03-19-07 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-07, 02:48 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You need to post the model #'s for the engine for proper identification. Is this a single cylinder?

It sounds like a problem with the carb overloading with fuel and running into your crankcase. The engine should not be ran until corrected. Diluted oil bypasses the rings.

Old 03-19-07, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
You need to post the model #'s for the engine for proper identification. Is this a single cylinder?

It sounds like a problem with the carb overloading with fuel and running into your crankcase. The engine should not be ran until corrected. Diluted oil bypasses the rings.
===========================

Here's what I found:

one cyl'

Model J609

13AJ609G766

Old 03-19-07, 03:26 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Those look like the chassis model #'s. The engine Id will be on the shroud of the engine.
Most likely you have a needle not seating for reason of debris the seat or float or...
The correct engine model type and code will be needed for parts as well as being able to access any manuals or documentation for instructions on repair.

Old 03-19-07, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
Those look like the chassis model #'s. The engine Id will be on the shroud of the engine.
Most likely you have a needle not seating for reason of debris the seat or float or...
The correct engine model type and code will be needed for parts as well as being able to access any manuals or documentation for instructions on repair.
+++++++++++++++++++

Can not find engine ID #. I will run it into the shop. Thx for your quick diagnosis. Will re-post the repair results.

Old 03-19-07, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your needle valve in the carburetor is leaking. Cheap easy fix. The engine #s are stamped on the valve cover. Probably 31N707 model#. Just drain the oil/gas mix, clean out the carb if needed, and replace the inlet needle and refill with clean oil.

Old 03-20-07, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Your needle valve in the carburetor is leaking. Cheap easy fix. The engine #s are stamped on the valve cover. Probably 31N707 model#. Just drain the oil/gas mix, clean out the carb if needed, and replace the inlet needle and refill with clean oil.

Thx for your assistance.

Old 04-08-07, 06:59 AM
Thumbs up

A final follow-up:

1. You guys were spot-on the diagnosis --- gummed up carb & fuel system.

2. Needed a carb kit, float, fuel filter, air filter, s/plug and an oil change.

Thx again!!

Arc

Old 04-08-07, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update! Glad you got it fixed.

Search this Thread