Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pros and Cons

AL

03-19-07, 02:02 PM   #1  
Pros and Cons

Could someone give me the pros and cons on a Bolen riding mower?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-19-07, 09:08 PM   #2  
Pros: Cheap.

Cons: Cheap.

I don't know what else to say that isn't covered by that statement. They're inexpensive, fairly easy to get parts for, and do the job "ok" for a somewhat reasonable amount of time, depending on how vigorously it's maintained, and also depending a bit on luck. It fills a niche in the marketplace.

It's MTDs low end mower. They're a bit more aggravating to work on. I've never seen a "Bolens Dealership" where you can expect first rate help and support. Parts are overpriced. Durability and reliability are not great. You get what you pay for, and I don't mean that in a bad context necessarily.

Bolens is no longer the beast of a tractor mower it was back 30 years ago. However, It's not priced like one either. I'd cut my grass with one. That's my opinion.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

03-20-07, 04:52 AM   #3  
Pros and Cons

Thanks cheese, I really appreciate that honest opinion.

PA

03-20-07, 09:40 AM   #4  
If you are asking about a new Bolens, then I agree with Cheese. If you found a pre 1990 Bolens that caught your eye, then it's a different story altogether.

Search this Thread