Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Weedeater

03-23-07, 11:22 AM   #1  
Craftsman Weedeater

I have a Craftsman Weedeater about 10 years old. I have cleaned the carburator and replaced the diaphragm. It runs fine, until I turn it over to edge with it, then it dies after a minute or so. The fuel line goes into the bottom of the tank and there is a filter/stone mounted on the bottom of the tank, which I've blown out with an air hose. I've never had problems running it when I turned it upside down to edge with it, whether the gas tank was completely full or half full. Can you tell me what I can do to get it to stay running when I turn it upside down?

Sponsored Links

03-23-07, 01:42 PM   #2  
The placement of the fuel pickup in the tank is important. If you've had it out of the tank for cleaning as you mention, it has to be put back in with the same orientation as before. Sounds like the pickup is not drawing fuel when you tip the machine. Have a look at how the fuel pickup is positioned when you tip the machine and adjust it accordingly so it always has fuel to draw.

TX

03-23-07, 03:04 PM   #3  
Fuel line

Check the fuel line in the tank, make sure it does not have any cracks or pin holes in it.

03-27-07, 11:07 AM   #4  
Posted By: backyardwonder The placement of the fuel pickup in the tank is important. If you've had it out of the tank for cleaning as you mention, it has to be put back in with the same orientation as before. Sounds like the pickup is not drawing fuel when you tip the machine. Have a look at how the fuel pickup is positioned when you tip the machine and adjust it accordingly so it always has fuel to draw.

Thanks I'll try that.

NY

03-27-07, 12:30 PM   #5  
Also, be sure the fuel line is not stiff (brittle) as it may not be floating around in the tank as it needs to so that it is always on the bottom of the tank regardless of the unit position.

Search this Thread