Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Eager 1 mower with governor trouble

03-23-07, 02:04 PM   #1  
Sears Eager 1 mower with governor trouble

Just call me the king of distressed lawnmowers...

I've inherited a Sears Eager 1 mower with 21 or 22" cut and self-propulsion. Seems like the Eager 1 engines were Tecumseh. The carb says Tecumseh on it. When I first got it, it wouldn't start at all.

The carb was fouled with varnish, and I cleaned it, making sure to clean out the nut that holds the bowl on, as it's a jet of some sort. I pushed the primer bulb a few times and shot some starting fluid and pulled the cord.

It will turn over, but it's running so slowly that it won't stay on. After a closer look, it appears that the governor could be part of the problem. There's a spring that looks stretched out of shape that's hooked up to the throttle on the carb, but nowhere else. It also looks like the governor is set to push the throttle closed rather than keeping it open.

Does anyone know how to set the governor up properly, and what type of spring it needs to replace the bad one?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to cruise the Tecumseh website as well.

Thank you,
-Bill

Sponsored Links

AL

03-23-07, 04:12 PM   #2  
Most of the time the governor does not come out of adjustment,your problem is most likeky the stretched spring that you mentioned.Which you can get at any small engine shop.Just tell them what the model # of your mower engine is and they will be able to pull you one,out of stock or order you one.

The spring goes on a linkage,that connects to the governor (top hole) and depending on which style eager 1 you have the spring can go in 1 of 2 places.reply back with the model # and someone will be able to help more.Or look up the model # on the sears parts site at

http://www3.sears.com

Search this Thread