Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs&Stratton, replacing pull cord

03-24-07, 10:21 AM   #1  
Briggs&Stratton, replacing pull cord

My dogs chewed through the cord on the mower, and I don't have a book on it and cannot locate the manual online. Its a Murray, model #25113x92A, and the engine model # is 275260.

The post I've found for replacing it all go into why the cord broke. It didn't break, the dogs chewed it up and brought it to me.

It appears the housing there is riveted on, and I can't manage the new cord into the winding deal (technical words there *lol*). I don't want to disassemble more than I have to and if needed I'll run it to a shop. Just thought this would be easier than it now appears to be...

Kay

Sponsored Links

OH

03-24-07, 06:38 PM   #2  
Try This

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/ropstart.htm

Helps rookies like me to have another set of hands around. The wife or your son make excellent canidates. Especially when that recoil spring comes out of the housing. Need alot of help then. Good luck you can do it.

03-24-07, 08:02 PM   #3  
riveted?

The housing part shown in the images is riveted on my mower. Otherwise, that is the best instructions I've seen online. I just don't think this mower wants us to fix it ourselves *frown*. This is the first 'better' machine we've bought. Seems the little $80 from Wally World are the easiest to repair/replace things on.

Thanks Dennis.

Kay

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-25-07, 12:23 AM   #4  
Hello Kay,

Haven't seen you in a while!

The riveted part that you're describing isn't what needs to be removed. You need to remove the whole metal cover (engine shroud). It's not a hard job, but at the same time, it's not an expensive job at the repair shop either. The only drawback is that this time of year you might be in for a wait to have it fixed at the shop.

If you want to "do it yourself", just access and remove the engine shroud, remove the old rope (if installing new rope), wind up the spool, insert rope through the housing into the hole in the spool and tie a knot in the end. Let the spool wind the rope back on, keeping enough rope hanging out to tie the handle on.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-25-07, 10:54 AM   #5  
Hi cheese! Yep, its been awhile.

Thanks!

We bought this lawn mower last year and were trying to be careful and not tear it up with our DIY powers *wink*.

Found the two bolts on the handle ned, then flipped that part up and over (had the fuel line hose attached to it), and found two more screws on the front side. Removed those and there we were!

The cord is now replaced and all screws replaced, and it runs. We put the mower on the trampoline so the dogs wouldn't chew this new cord off. My son's dog had 9 puppies so its been puppy heaven (or heck) here lately.

Kay

Search this Thread