I need big time help wiring my riding lawnmower!!

Old 03-24-07, 04:52 PM
I need big time help wiring my riding lawnmower!!

OK! I did what I knew I shouldn't, but they were relatives and it was only a lawnmower.....Oh boy....
I have an 18hp Briggs and Stratton riding lawnmower. It one of those no name K-Gro sold at K-mart. When I got it back finally after two years the wiring was cut, spliced, and hanging loose. At least half of it was pulled loose and just laying on the engine.
I got a decent schematic off the B & S site and have got it in pretty good shape. It'll turn over just fine (That was the simple part!) However, It gets no fire to the plugs.
I realize that all the possibilities of what is wrong, but could you guide me through the check out process for no spark!!
I'm real good with repairing clocks but that lawnmower has me ready to throw tools.
I attempted to get all the wiring in place on this &^%#^%(*, but I've still got one orange wire that I have no idea where it goes. this is one of two wires that come out from under the top of the motor. The other wire is a red hot wire that goes the battery terminal in the ignition switch and then to the positive side of the solenoid.

The orange wire will get a brief impulse when the key is on, cranking the starter.
Unfortunately (I guess!!) we've had a warm spell for the last month and the grass is on the rise!!

CD

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-07, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We just did this one....didja forget already, lol!

Here's the original thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=298250

Old 03-25-07, 03:03 AM
see below!!!

Last edited by clockdaddy; 03-25-07 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 03:13 AM
Thanks Cheese,

My only defense is desperation and being BRAIN DEAD!!

I did check out the coil by removing the cutoff switch and found I still had no spark. In an effort to find any other problems that "might" be contributing, I have gone back over the wiring and the orange wire is keeping me from completing the wiring to make sure that it is not causing problems before I go to the expense of replacing parts.

Thanks!!!

CD

Old 03-25-07, 06:22 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
There is no wiring involved in Making the coil provide spark (High tension lead), only wiring to make it NOT provide spark to the (High tension lead) spark plug. If by disconnecting the ground lead to the coil, you still have no spark, then the coil is bad, as cheese mentioned in the thread he referenced.

Old 03-25-07, 11:47 AM
Azis,

The reason I kept questioning if the other wiring could be the problem is because we replaced the coil and had no results. I realize that just because it's new doesn't mean it's good!!
I'll get another coil and try it again. Like I said before, I nothing about electronics and this relatively simple wiring confuses the daylights out of me.

thanks for your help and guidance,
Harold