Update to non-running Murray with B&S Quantum

Old 03-24-07, 09:58 PM
Post Update to non-running Murray with B&S Quantum

Hello everyone,

It looks like the gasket between the air cleaner housing and the carb is bad. They stock alot of B&S parts at the nearby Ace Hardware, but the gasket and other more involved parts, like carb innards, are nowhere to be found. Where does that sort of thing come from?

Thank you,
-Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-07, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any small engine repair shop should have or be able to get them.

Old 03-28-07, 03:37 PM
Update

I went and got the gasket for just over $1. I also got a primer bulb. I installed both items. The directions say to prime it three times, then pull the cord. I did this, and nothing happened. I pulled the cord several more times with no results.

Then, out of curiosity, I primed it 10 times. This time, it started on the first pull, ran a couple of seconds, and stopped. I pulled the cord again, but no go. I was able to get it to do this a few more times.

Then, I got it to start and ran up and pumped the primer bulb. It kept running, but roughly. I was able to keep it running for about 10 seconds doing that.

What's the problem now? The primer bulb seems to jump back pretty fast. Did I put it on correctly?

Any addtional ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill

Old 03-29-07, 06:54 AM
Hi Bill,
I am curious as to where the start of this thread went, I feel like I started reading a book from the last chapter. Just what is listed here I'm thinking carb/fuel related.

Old 03-29-07, 07:09 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It will help greatly if you post the model and type #'s from the engine.
If the primer is delivering fuel then the carb should be getting fuel as well. The problem is usually the carb not getting fuel through the main jet. It could be a restriction and or a diaphragm.
For a specific diagnoses and repair, the engine #'s will be required.

Old 03-29-07, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
Hi Bill,
I am curious as to where the start of this thread went, I feel like I started reading a book from the last chapter. Just what is listed here I'm thinking carb/fuel related.

There's an option for Display at the bottom of the forum overview that allows you to chose to display older posts. The forum must not allow them to stay on the front page too long.

But the mower is a Murray Model 20405X92A
The engine is a B&S Quantum XTE 4.5 HP.

Thank you,
-Bill

Old 03-29-07, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
It will help greatly if you post the model and type #'s from the engine.
If the primer is delivering fuel then the carb should be getting fuel as well. The problem is usually the carb not getting fuel through the main jet. It could be a restriction and or a diaphragm.
For a specific diagnoses and repair, the engine #'s will be required.
Sorry, it's a Murray 20405X92A mower, and here are the numbers on the engine:
128802-1128-01 96111256

The engine's a B&S Quantum XTE 4.5 HP.

Thank you,
-Bill

Old 03-29-07, 08:38 AM
Primer system may not be working.

I just checked the troubleshooter on the B&S website. It said that if the primer system is working correctly, you will see a small stream of gas injected into the carb with you pump the bulb with the air filter off. I'm not seeing that when I try it.

Last night, I noticed the bottom of the float bowl was damp with gas. If the washer around the nut is leaking, would it cause problems like what I'm experiencing? How about if the gasket around the top of the float bowl is bad?

I'm just thinking outloud.

Thank you,
-Bill

Old 03-29-07, 08:51 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The washer could be leaking and cause it. You would want to make sure there is not a leak somewhere else too. If the inside of the carb is wet, your needle valve could be leaking.
The restriction is most likely in your main jet, which is the bolt/screw that the washer you mention goes on. If you remove the bolt you should see some small holes in the shoulder and one in the end of the shank. This needs to be open. You can try cleaning it and see if that cures the no run problem. If you still have the leak you can get a new washer and I would also get and install a new bowl gasket while your at it.

Old 03-29-07, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Azis View Post
The washer could be leaking and cause it. You would want to make sure there is not a leak somewhere else too. If the inside of the carb is wet, your needle valve could be leaking.
The restriction is most likely in your main jet, which is the bolt/screw that the washer you mention goes on. If you remove the bolt you should see some small holes in the shoulder and one in the end of the shank. This needs to be open. You can try cleaning it and see if that cures the no run problem. If you still have the leak you can get a new washer and I would also get and install a new bowl gasket while your at it.
I have cleaned the main jet, and fluid will flow through it the way it's supposed to. But that washer and the bowl gasket might help. The mower's at least 8 years old, and the previous owners took good care of it. They said it worked well until it just wouldn't start one day. Rather than put it out for the trash, they kept it after draining the gas tank and changing the oil. They took care of it, but I don't see that they changed any of the perishable rubber parts.

Old 03-29-07, 10:30 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The bowl gasket is important as it seals the float bowl so the primer can pressurize it which forces fuel into the throat.
This would explain why it takes 10 pumps instead of 3.
If the main jet is clear than there could still be a restriction above it,where it threads into. This may require soaking the carb body in cleaner. You may be able to try some spray and compressed air also.

Old 03-29-07, 06:29 PM
I've seen the plastic air cleaner base plate (which is integral to the primer circuit) warp and not provide sufficient seal between the plate and the carburetor. Without such seal (by way of the special cleaner gasket), you will not get a good prime. There are two different style cleaner bases and you'd need to do a visual at your local dealer to compare to what you have. I've also had 50/50 luck with doubling up the cleaner gasket on those that were warped.