Murray Blade Change

Old 03-25-07, 05:58 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Murray Blade Change

I have an older Murray 14 hp 42" cut riding mower that is very difficult to change blades on. The problem is trying to hold the blade shaft still while removing/installing the nut on the shaft. I've tried holding the blade, but the blade slips on the shaft under pressure. Engaging the blade clutch doesn't stop the shaft from rotating with the nut. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-25-07, 06:15 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Use a strap wrench or other method to hold the pulley on top of the shaft you are trying to remove the blade from. Worse case, removing the nut from the pulley and the pulley itself, the shaft should slide out allowing you to take it to a bench.

Old 03-25-07, 08:19 AM
C
Is there a nut on the other end of the shaft my 46 inch murray has does.

Old 03-25-07, 12:35 PM
W
Yes, the shaft does have a nut on the top of the pulley, and I've tried holding the shaft with that. Succeeded in loosening the nut on the pulley before the one on the blade.

I'll try the strap wrench I bought recently to change the water pump on my pickup. Might as well get some more use out of it.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-07, 12:52 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
first, be careful. I had a friend that cut his hand and several tendons doing exactly what you are doing.

If you have access to an impact gun, that would be the easiest and quickest and (I beleive) the safest method.

A "pop" "pop" "pop" on the trigger will pop the nut free without spinning the blade. A 2X4 blocking the blade positioning it in the discharge chute or other similar spot tp prevent rotation of the blade is a good idea as well while doing this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: