Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lack of power 5 hp mtd snow thrower

03-25-07, 07:56 PM   #1  
lack of power 5 hp mtd snow thrower

I have an MTD Yard Machine 5 hp snow thrower. It is about 10 years old, model #31AE600E161. It has received regular oil changes and had the fuel drained at the end of every season, except last season. At this time last winter it started to lose power. Specifically, it would start fine, but as you got into the snow it would really bog down, even in light snow. It also seemed as if when you moved the throttle lever to maximum, it wasn't really delivering maximum rpm's. I finally took it in for service this winter and the shop did a complete tune up, cleaned carb. jets etc. because (for the first time) I had left fuel sit in it all summer. I got it back from the shop but saw no improvement. So I brought it back, they made some adjustments to the carb. and when I got it back this time there was still very little if any improvement. The shop seems to know what they are doing, but admits they are at a loss for what could be wrong. To the best of my recollection from our conversations they have checked the governor, tried swapping the carburetor with another one, checked the head gasket, and checked compression. Any ideas? The shop has offered to replace the engine with another used one, should I take my chances or keep trying to repair my current one? Thanks in advance for your input

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-26-07, 09:49 AM   #2  
Azis
There is no accurate test for compression for small engines.
Is there any sign of smoke when the engine bogs?
Valve clearances would also be a point to check since you did not mention that. Also possibly part of the drive system, bearing, bushing, belt causing too much load.

Search this Thread